Power meter vs perceived exertion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ITTY

by ITTY

I agree with a lot of people about numbers being pretty useless during races. I reached a HR of 209 in a cyclocross race this year. Normally, if my heart rate is above 190 I'm in serious trouble.

I also agree that numbers (and not PE) are extremely useful for training, and a great way to track progress.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

KWalker

by KWalker

Do it all the time. PE should always be cross-referenced with power or used in place of it when you just don't feel like being anal if only for some mental relief.

I like using and prescribing PE-only workouts in certain cases for testing pacing, power output, and perception of output in specific situations.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

HR is useful for a number of things. But it's not a replacement for power data.

Cuki

by Cuki

HR does have its benefits, but not usually in the race (running for me). I'd train with a HRM religiously, but never race with it. I did actually find my HRM very valuable while still in bed.
Come the morning of the race or a planned hard training session, I made very sure I'd take a reading upon awakening. If I had a RHR of 32-34, I was good to go.
I don't race bikes like you guys, but I ride outside 500 plus KM a week, I use a PM in a similar situation as I did road running. First hill of the day, I give it a gentle dig, and if I like the numbers, then I figure I'm good to go.

mattr

by mattr

When i used to race properly, PMs were still pretty much lab only or pro only kit. Pretty much impossible to get hold of. And not hugely reliable unless you spent serious cash (SRM).

So i used a HRM as it was the best tool (VFM) at the time.
For most road racing i'd have the screen visible, when the hammer went down (last hour or so, big climbs, chasing breaks down) i'd just roll the HRM round my bars, so i couldn't see it.

Reviewing the recorded data afterwards was always interesting.

For a TT or MTB race, it'd be screen up all the time, as i needed to gauge pace. Until the last lap/last couple of miles. Then you make a call on what needs to be done. If you need to go all out, i'd make sure i couldn't see the heart rate.