Cervelo s2, R2 or 2014 Trek Madone 5.2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jerrycooney

by jerrycooney

Shopping for my first carbon bike after riding same aluminum bike for 10+ years. Not the most experienced buyer. Only ride about 1,200 miles a season April-Oct. Like to do an Olympic Tri once or twice a year.
Looking at Cervelo s2 w/105s ($2700) or R2 105s ($2500) or 2014 Trek Madone 5.2 w/Ultegra (on sale for $2950)
Like the feel of the Cervelo's. Two friends have the 2013 R3 w/105s and love it. S2 and R2 have same geometry but R2 supposedly lighter. Tested the R2 and felt very smooth. S2 supposed to be a little faster even if it is a little heavier. Like the look of the S2 but haven't had a chance to test ride it.
Trek Madone 5.2 2014 seems to be a good value with the ultegra groupos but not sure about the placement of the rear break down low. seems like newer trek models are going away from that. Also wondering why they are phasing out the madone's for Emonda's?

Welcome input from anyone that has one, ridden one or looking to purchase one of these models.
Thanks in advance.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've got the 2013 version of the Madone. The rear brake placement is a non-issue. I've had absolutely no problems with it. $2950 seems a little high, however. That price is WAY over cost.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

I'd go with the S2 since you like the feel of Cervelos and do a Tri once a year. Get some clip on bars for the event.

jerrycooney

by jerrycooney

FijiGabe,
thx for the input. Re cost of 2014 Madone 5.2 that was the close out price with additional 10% off. unfortunately haven't seen it any cheaper.

jerrycooney

by jerrycooney

Thanks for your input Bear. All things (i.e. components) the same the decision would be easier and would probably go for the S2. The decision is made more difficult because for about $300 more I could get the 2014 Madone 5.2 with full Ultegra Groupos.

Getter

by Getter

The frame is the most important part. Go with the frame that best suits your needs. The parts are easily swapped out compared to the frame.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

With an Olympic Tri once or twice a year, definitely go with the S2 (would be great for you to test ride).

If money is tight, a R2 is a great bike (as you already know).

7ducati

by 7ducati

I got the new S2 a few months ago and I love it. I couldn't find a solid reason not to get an aero road bike, and it hasn't let me down yet. I was immediately faster (judging by strava segments) on this compared to my S-Works Tarmac, but I also think the S2 fits me better.

You might want to check the price, I thought the S2 came down a bit. At least it did at my dealer, between the time I ordered it and when it came in. He was good enough to refund me the difference too.
2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Madone is a great mix of aero and comfort. It's relatively lightweight, and you can always slap a set of clip-on bars for a triathlon.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

S2 all the way. The difference in performance between the 5800 and 6800 is so minimal. The S2 frame is exactly the same as the S3 just a different color, aka a top notch frame. The difference is that the S2 has a "lower end" fork to keep price down. With the savings you can get yourself a nice set of brakes and have some for a rotor crank to replace the FSA's that come on the S2.

Also, the S2 and S3 use a very similar rear triangle to the R series bikes (big chainstays, slender seatstays) which lead to a stiff but rather comfortable ride, especially for an aero frame.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I think I'll throw a spanner in the works and suggest looking at the Felt AR series, Boardman AiR or Giant Propel... The AR series should be on par with the cervelo in terms of aero whilst the propel shouldn't be too far off, but a chunk lighter. Haven't seen 3rd party testing of the Boardman, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a slouch. The Brownlee brothers use the AiR frames with clip-ons in, it isn't holding them back :)

Alternatives to the Trek Madone/Cervelo R2? Falco Peregrine, Scott Addict/Foil.

I'm sure they're all really good frames, just thought I'd suggest a few more in case you hadn't thought of them. In terms of aero your position matters the most, the frame would be pretty low on my list of concerns. While I'm not discounting the aero frames I'm just suggesting you can be just/almost as fast on something like a madone if you've got the right set-up (eg nice comfortable and aero tuck, tt helmet, good wheel/tyre choice). Pick the aero bike if you're stuck, but if you're REALLY liking the madone/R2 it won't make you THAT much slower.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

jerrycooney

by jerrycooney

Appreciate the great input across the board! Thank you

rosuch

by rosuch

S2 is the way to go

amey

by amey

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

amey

by amey

Getting S2 (or any cervelo) for aero reasons is jokes .. the headtubes are high as snoopp dogg in jamaica. Get R2 put a -20 fizik stem on it (or deda pista if you are flexible enough) and get best of both. Aero due to position comfort due to the construction/design.