LOOK 695 and Garmin Vector pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

slick1

by slick1

Hi all,

I'm in the market to buy a power meter and I'm leaning towards the Garmin Vector pedals. I understand they are not compatible with all crank sets but from what I've read, some people are having issues with the Garmin Vector pedals and the LOOK 695 one piece cranks.

Has anybody got any info as to whether there is a problem or is the person/people not installing them correctly.

Thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I know early on the small pods were an issue.. not sure if the larger pods work the zed2 or not.. best to contact Garmin. Sold my 695 before my vectors got delivered.. so could not test them.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

The clearance between the crankarm and the chainstay on the driveside is too small to keep the pod from rubbing on the chainstay.
I did the measurement myself and went with a P2M (and the respective BB adapter) instead of the Vector.
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

kahoon

by kahoon

everyone i know with vector pedals have had issues with them, i would not recommend them.

rmerka

by rmerka

I've had only one issue with the Vector pedals for over a year. Use them on both Rotor 3D+ and 3D30 cranks. Still using the original pods and have changed the batteries 3 or 4 times. They've always been reliable for me. The one issue that I've had was just recent. The pedals began spinning a little too easily so I took the spindles out and re-greased them with Dumonde MR grease and they're perfect again.

slick1

by slick1

Thank you all for your replies.

I'll need to check the clearance between the inside of the crank and the chain when the chain is in the large chainring on the front and little cog on the back. From what ive bwen reading it is meant to have 5mm clearance??

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Luckyp is talking about the chainstay.. If the pod touches that..... All the chain clearance in the world is not gonna help that.

rmerka

by rmerka

I'm just trying to get my head around the pod not clearing the frame. My bike isn't a Look but I just can't figure how that's happening. The pods on my crank don't even extend past the crank arm going towards the frame. The only think that does is the little connector that plugs into the back, and it's less than a cadence magnet on the back of a spindle. That may be what's rubbing? If so that's some pretty tight clearances!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ i agree but I no longer have my look and frankly didn't pay much attention at the time, since vectors where not even on my radar ...Was using a power tap.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Sorry, my mistake: The clearance between the CHAIN and the ZED crank arm is not sufficient for the Vector pod's backside (5 mm) when you're in the big ring and small cog.

slick1

by slick1

luckypuncheur wrote:Sorry, my mistake: The clearance between the CHAIN and the ZED crank arm is not sufficient for the Vector pod's backside (5 mm) when you're in the big ring and small cog.

thanks. Is this from experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

that's makes more sense.... some other things might impact that.. wheel, hub, compact vs standard rings, cassette itself.. Hell I can't use the 11 with the big ring with my parlee z5i/DA9000 crankset/Sram red cassette with the vectors myself using 2 washers. I might just clear it with 3 though. If they could somehow fit that POD into the pedal they would be golden.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Yes, I did the measurement myself on my 2012 Look 695 SR using the ZED crank and Fulcrum Racing Speed XLR wheels with a 11-25 10sp cassette.

slick1

by slick1

Thanks for ypur reply. Did the power pedals not work because of the lack of clearance (<5mm) on the 53/11 or all gears?

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

I run a compact with a 50T chainring and only measured the clearance in 50-11. As I didn't want to pass on the 50-11, I decided to look into other solutions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com