Dura ace 9000 cable life?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I had my R.D. cable snap on my 6800 shifter snap at just under 4,000 miles. While I like the feel of 6800 this did surprise me. I've been riding 6500 for over a decade and never had this happen. I plan to change them again before another 4,000 miles but will look into Jagwire
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WheresWaldo
in the industry

by WheresWaldo

Velosteve, the reason Shimano shifters are so hard on cables is because of the severe wind up that occurs within the shifter body, a smoother cable should not affect its useful lifespan. That said, it might make shifting feel smoother for a longer part of the cables life.

What I have found in my many cycling acquaintances, is that they treat cabling like they do their handlebar tape. It doesn't merit their attention until there is a problem. I change my bar tape at a minimum every season. I hate pulling off tape from someone elses bike that is smelly and bars corroded because of neglect. At the same time I change inner cables. A cable housing will get replaced when there is drag on the cable, or every other season, whichever comes first. The only exceptions are the rear loop of housing, which is every season and bikes I hardly ever ride.

hilts

by hilts

I get 4-5k km from my cables with 6800 shifters before they fail me. Meaning I have to change it after 3-4 months. Starting to get annoying.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

hilts wrote:I get 4-5k km from my cables with 6800 shifters before they fail me. Meaning I have to change it after 3-4 months. Starting to get annoying.

Both cables? My FD polymer cable looked brand new after 4500 miles while the FD cable was badly frayed. Even on my ICR bike I can change the RD cable and housing and adjust the RD in about 45 minutes.

dynaserve

by dynaserve

I got 9 months and around 6,000km before the rear cable broke on the 9000 shifter - Sheared at around 1" long.

Shimano DO experiment with Dura Ace products (7900 shifters, which originally would not shift to first by two gears at once, 9000 cassette exploding). Ultegra/105 works out better than first gen DA as a result. Sram get bad press, but Shimano are as bad.

Yes the DA 9000 brakes are superb, the front shifting is ace, but I'm now fitting Force 22 and trying that.

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Also - I can't ever remember having a cable snap before...

hilts

by hilts

dunbar42 wrote:Both cables?

Only the rear one. The front didn't fray, but I changed it before the racing season started, just to be safe.
Going to test jagwire or something similar before next season. Unless I throw money in some direction to get Di2, ofcourse.

drbellows

by drbellows

DA9001 shifters didn't solve the problem. After 2 snapped cables, Shimano replaced my DA9000 rear shifter with a DA9001. 1500 miles later, guess what happened. Now they are only offering to replace the inner cable under warranty. Shimano also said by phone that they recommend changing the Dura Ace cables and chain every 2500 miles. They said these are precision components that require a high level of maintenance to maintain precision function. That recommendation can't be found on their web site, nor can any mention of the 9001 series shifter. I guess it's a secret. They've passed the onus onto their customers and, I suppose, they hope the number of snapped cables will go down once cyclists start switching them out more often. Problem is, the driver is shift frequency, not mileage. I suppose if you ride your magnificent DA equipped bike as a single speed your rear shift cable will never break. Corporate malfeasance at its worst.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Campy may get a hard look. Now I have to change my cables at the same rate I change oil in my car??? Per the schedule my Shimano.... BS.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

I have more than 2500 miles on my 9000 system and stock cables. I have not had any problems thus far. Cables sill look good. JYI

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I don't think Campy shifters and cables are immune either. I've not been on any of the 11 spd Campy stuff but I used Campy Record 10 shifters for about 7 years (at least 3 different pair). Eventually the cables will fray in the shifter with Campy too. The nice thing was that the broken strands would actually poke out the little slit on the bottom of the brake hood and one would get poked by them and know it was definitely time to change the inner cable :)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Just wanted to share this. I just pulled the Yokozuna cables off my ST-9000 shifters. Here's what they looked like after 4,128 miles (6,643 km):

RD - 2 frayed cables, the rest of the wire is complete.

FD - completely intact. No fraying, no visible damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeatnik

by beeatnik

mnmasotto wrote:I have more than 2500 miles on my 9000 system and stock cables. I have not had any problems thus far. Cables sill look good. JYI

Irvine is pretty flat.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

MY 6800 cables went at just under 4,000 miles. I hope its a one time event but if that's the life span, I view that as unacceptable. My 6500 Cables on my 2001 Trek were finally replaced this year, not for fraying but because they had stretched. While the performance of my 6800 has been great, the cable issue is a source of concern. As a customer and shareholder I hope Shimano figures this one out.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

until Shimano gets a hold on this design problem, an intrepid mechanic might put an ohm meter on the rear derailleur cable, and replace it when the resistance jumps by 5%, indicating that one of the strands has broken (assuming approx 20 strands per cable).