Dura ace 9000 cable life?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spud

by spud

For those regularly changing out the cable, are you noticing degradation of shift action over the course of time? I thought I remember seeing/hearing that the cable sheds the polymer coating which eventually fouls the housing.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

No degradation until the cable starts fraying and then the frayed wires tend to cause the cable to stick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Darceking

by Darceking

Well the Jagwire I will be using from now on are $45AUD. So I am happy to pay that every 5000km to maintain the quality shifting. But then again, I think I will get more then 5000km out of the JAGWIRE

dunbar42

by dunbar42

goodboyr wrote:No degradation until the cable starts fraying and then the frayed wires tend to cause the cable to stick.

What I've heard is that they tend to start misbehaving right before they snap. So there's no real warning until it's too late. My bike shifted perfectly even with very noticeable fraying. My suggestion would be to peel the shifter hood cover back and inspect the cable at the shifter cable guide every so often. It only takes a minute or two.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Darceking wrote:Well the Jagwire I will be using from now on are $45AUD. So I am happy to pay that every 5000km to maintain the quality shifting. But then again, I think I will get more then 5000km out of the JAGWIRE

Sounds high. Is that for a complete set? You really only need one shift cable ($3 US, or $6 for Jagwire coated).

In my experience there isn't much warning, but if you notice that you have to adjust your rear D cable tension, and it won't seem to stay adjusted, that's the first symptom, time to replace the cable. Also, I haven't kept close track, but, to me, it does seem like the Jagwire cables last longer than the DA9000.

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Exactly the same symptoms in my case. I lost the 3 biggest gears 20 miles out then snap the last 10 miles. My local LBS replaced the feral with a different type that came with the original build. It does not have a sharp edge that appears to be part of the problem where the cable is wearing. It makes sense, I hope to have a better result in 4000 miles.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

indywagon

by indywagon

OK folks, help me out here: I thought the redesigned 9001 shifters were introduced specifically (if not publicly acknowledged by Shimano) to correct the cable-shear problem? That appears to be not necessarily the case. If so, then what is the difference between the 9000 and the 9001 shift levers? I would like to switch from SRAM Red 10 speed to the Shimano 9000 11 speed for reasons chronicled on this forum (SRAM Red front der simply does not play well with Rotor cranksets) as a bridge until Shimano introduces a real wireless shifting system. If the 9001 levers are still faulty and eating cables, I might reconsider that a bit - or at least not pop for the more expensive 9001 levers.

Thanks,
Chris

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

As I read this, I laugh about what people said about Di2 and EPS systems. It's just a fact that sometimes you break down and it does not matter if it is mechanical or electric.

Just an observation, I'll leave now.

martinko

by martinko

I still don't get how Pro riders can ride and be successful (OK, it were Campagnolo and SRAM winning GTs, but anyway) with problematic 9000 shifters, cables and cassettes.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

In my experience, the 9000 cables are good for a season or two. Thats way beyond the change out frequency for pro team cables. And for the diligent and well maintained bike. So really this is not a design defect. I think this is the tradeoff for the low friction shifting performance. And as butcher says....and I have said, if you don't like it, go electronic.

boots2000

by boots2000

I just broke a cable on my 9001 shifters (rear).
This is after about 3 months of riding.
I had same issue with 9000 shifters. Supposedly this was fixed with 9001 but I guess not?

Svetty

by Svetty

No cable issues here after approx 3000 miles on 9000 shifters for me....

goodboyr

by goodboyr

You should check for fraying just in case.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

All this makes me glad I put di2 on my wife's bike and make me glad I run Campagnolo. I hope shimano revise the design in the next generation of shifters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Velosteve

by Velosteve

New here. Howdy folks!

I work in a shop and having learned about the amazing qualities of these polymer cables I set out to learn more. It seems there are two (2) levels of polymer cables put out by Shimano. If you look at the cable kits/sets there are DA and Ultegra level. I learned that the DA cable are more expensive to manufacture since they are smoother than the Ultegra cables... I'm thinking the strands in the DA cables are finer. Of course I ordered a DA brake and shift set... and just found this thread.

I've heard from a couple of pro mechanics that Shimano shifters are tougher on cables and require more frequent changes than others. They change their cables so often that it's not an issue for them.

I wonder if the cables on Ultegra shifters are breaking as frequently?

VS