Stickers won't stick to waxed carbon frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

llhh

by llhh

Hi guys,

I just finished my Parlee Z1 waxed carbon build and noticed that none of my usual transparent stickers I use to protect frames against chain slapping and cable rub won't stick to this particular type of surface finish.

Should I go for MTB-style Lizard Skins on my chain stay and some wrap my cables or are there some type of adhesives that stick to waxed carbon frames? Or maybe if the frame hasn't paint/clear coat on it, the rubbing is not that much of an issue?

Cheers
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Interesting.... the lizard skins chainstay protector is pretty heavy. Any luck with all-weather electrical tape? I use that on the chainstay on all my bikes (2 layers). Way lighter and normally you can't even see it (all black bikes).

There are also rubber gromits that go on the outside of the cable housing and will protect your frame from rubbing, but you will have to pull the cables/housing out.

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

The thing about wax is that things aren't supposed to stick to it. You could either remove the wax with some sort of grease and wax remover, apply your stickers and, then re-wax the frame, or use something that doesn't need to adhere directly to the surface of the frame.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

See how it goes without protection. In respect of the chainstay, you can sometimes live with a bit of marking.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Is it truly waxed or is that just the name of the type of finish? If it is just waxed, then strip the wax, apply decals, and then apply wax.

llhh

by llhh

Butcher wrote:Is it truly waxed or is that just the name of the type of finish? If it is just waxed, then strip the wax, apply decals, and then apply wax.

It's a type of the finish I believe. How do I tell? There is no apparent coating that can be removed with just regular cleaning (I tested some mild detergents and bike wash solutions). I have had only painted frames before, so I'm not an expert on telling wax / surface finishing types just yet. Electrical tape doesn't stick either.
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Call Parlee and ask them is there is a safe solvent to prep the areas where you want the protection...

Duct tape of your new custom Parlee???

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Parlee offers etching Probably what they do on their waxed frames.. I'd call them
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I've just ordered a waxed finish "nude" Parlee z zero (awaiting delivery). I've opted for decals that are applied after the finish, so there are products out there that work. If you speak to Parlee, please report back - I'll have the same problem soon!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)