2015 New Tarmac S-Works or 2015 Cervelo R5?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tiquitain

by tiquitain

Hi everybody,

I´m on the market to buy a new frame. I live in a hilly region and I like to climb, so I think those two frames represent the specifications I am searching.
Other positive question is that I think it´s very easy to sell them in the future.

My lbs is offering me a Focus Izalco Max, but I don´t like it ´cause it doesn´t have internal cable routing and it doesn´t have the same appreciation to second hand market in the future.

My budget is 3.000-3.500€

What do you think? Alternatives?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spookyload

by spookyload

Ridley Helium SL.

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

Having owned both the R5 and Tarmac, I'd say it's a toss-up. I sold the R5 though and am sticking with the Tarmac. It's has a bit beefier feel to me but both climb extremely well.

I think the Tarmac was shorter in the head tube so I was able to get a lower/racier position in the front with this frame.
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

gmakris

by gmakris

I compared these two bikes and I decided to choose the new Tarmac. The reason is that Tarmac is more all-arround bike, very good for climbing and I find it more beautiful.
I think R5 is overpriced since I could not find any advantages to justify the expensive price.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If you are compiling a shortlist of the most dullest and uninspiring bicycle brands there are, you missed off Trek.

Specialized - Cervelo - Trek

My point being ... there are lots of other brands out there. Looking for one with the best geometry for you is always a good starting point.

gravity

by gravity

Can someone just ban Valbrona please? I have never seen him coming up with a comment that is not condescending.

tiquitain

by tiquitain

Valbrona wrote:If you are compiling a shortlist of the most dullest and uninspiring bicycle brands there are, you missed off Trek.

Specialized - Cervelo - Trek

My point being ... there are lots of other brands out there. Looking for one with the best geometry for you is always a good starting point.

I understand your point of view, but I don't want a frame for all of my life, with the best carbon or made it by craftsmen in small companies, I just want a good frame for two or three years that can be easy sell in the future, and those two represents this.

BCSS

by BCSS

If it is a consideration you can get the S-Works in disc set up, which might be worth a consideration if you live in a hilly area (at the end you also need to come down :-) )...and I guess resale should be good as there is very few disc brake bikes on the market

tiquitain

by tiquitain

BCSS wrote:If it is a consideration you can get the S-Works in disc set up, which might be worth a consideration if you live in a hilly area (at the end you also need to come down :-) )...and I guess resale should be good as there is very few disc brake bikes on the market

Yes, you're right, disc brakes are the future

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I think rim brakes might be Coke Classic.

Get the bike you want to ride more when you look at it. They both ride very well.

Valbrona is a troll.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spookyload

by spookyload

Disc brakes haven't even been accepted in the cross community where they are actually needed and beneficial. I think it will be quite a few years till they are standard on road bikes.

BCSS

by BCSS

spookyload wrote:Disc brakes haven't even been accepted in the cross community where they are actually needed and beneficial. I think it will be quite a few years till they are standard on road bikes.

Keen to hear why, in order not to hijack this post I created one focused on the topic,

...they hyperactive moderator on this forum now moved the discussion to here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=122430&start=60

djconnel

by djconnel

To me the R5 seems the much better choice, but I'm a sucker for white papers. The bike simply looks better on top of being very well designed and, exceptionally important, is lighter. It's also more aerodynamic than the Tarmac. The issue is geometry. You can make it work, but for me (everyone is different) the R5 with S5 geometry would be the overall winner.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

DJ - you have any data on the 2015 Tarmac and the R5 in terms of aerodynamics? Would be interesting to see.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

Ahillock

by Ahillock

If I only had the option of Specialized or Cervelo, I would go with the R5. I would also strongly consider the new R3 if I wanted to save $3000 in the process.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com