1x11 Di2 Tri Bike Crank Options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DirtyKolache

by DirtyKolache

So here is what I am looking for that I am hoping someone can help me figure out the logistics. Wanting to run a 1x11 Di2 setup on a triathlon bike. But here is where it gets tricks because I want to run Stages and also a Osymetric chainring. Can I only mount 1 ring on one of the new 4-arm Shimano cranks? Anything else I would need to prevent chain drop?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

You would want to add a chain catcher to prevent the chain from jumping off the ring on the inside. By design, you will cross chain, so the risk of dropping the chain is greater, and add oval chain rings to the mix and well, the risk greater yet. It's very doable though.

Personally, I could never use a 1x11 on my tri bike… just too many climbs around here. :-)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

please ... use narrrow-wide teeth profile ...

i tried a 1x on road bike with normal chainring ... a disaster

or with a Osymmetric ring , you MUST use the front derailleur to avoid chain drop. it's mandatory.

i am waiting from Garbaruk, Kiev an oval ring in 44T ... maybe you can try his product ...
it has obviously narrow wide teeth profile ...

currently i have 46T on 1x10 Di2 set up. never a chain drop in 4 months , 5000 km done
http://eliflap.it/

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

Run a 5bolt style shimano crank (older, i know!). I have seen some 4 bolt rotor ones, but I think they are custom/one off/really hard to get your hands on. They just came out with a CX1 ovalized cross ring, so check out what the biggest size they make is. I just got a 40t for my cross bike, but that would be a little small for tris (hopefully!).

bfno

by bfno

Those only go to 44t, but where did you get yours from? Been looking a bit and haven't found anywhere selling them!
Venge | Shiv TT | Langster | Dogma 60.1 | CruX | Aeroad CF SLX (WIP)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stephen@fibre-lyte
in the industry

by stephen@fibre-lyte

eliflap-scalpel wrote:please ... use narrrow-wide teeth profile ...

i tried a 1x on road bike with normal chainring ... a disaster

or with a Osymmetric ring , you MUST use the front derailleur to avoid chain drop. it's mandatory.

i am waiting from Garbaruk, Kiev an oval ring in 44T ... maybe you can try his product ...
it has obviously narrow wide teeth profile ...

currently i have 46T on 1x10 Di2 set up. never a chain drop in 4 months , 5000 km done

You should have started with 'in my experience'.

As with all bike builds, everything is in the set up. Nick at TriRig currently runs a 1x11 set up with as far as I'm aware, no problems at all. You can see it here

We have a few customers that I know of running 1x11's with THM cranks (spacers in place of the inner or outer ring) and Sram kit and also we have a customer trialling a carbon single ring on an XX1 crankset at the moment and he loves it.

None of these chainrings have thick/thin teeth. I'm yet to be convinced that the thick/thin teeth profile makes any difference at all on a road bike. I'm barely convinced that it makes any difference on a mountain bike but there may be the odd scenario where it might.

As for Osymmetrics on the front, there's no reason why running one of those chainrings vs a round chainring should make any difference to chain drop on a single ring set up. Sure, shifting at the front is more awkward on a double osymmetric set up, but with a single ring you'd have to be right on the limit of chain angle which again would come down to bike setup.

Finally, back to the OP, not quite sure what you mean by "Can I only mount 1 ring on one of the new 4-arm Shimano crank" but as we've done a double set up for a customer with the 9000 cranks i guess the answer is no.