Stages Battery indication

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Hello,

I have a stages for several weeks now and am very happy with it. I have ridden roughly 25 hours with it (no rain during these rides thankfully) and have not changed the battery yet. Today towards the end of my ride, it started toggling randomly between the following three:

- Working normally.
- Loosing pairing with my edge 510. (I was seeing "---" under both cadence and power)
- Showing 0 power and 0 cadence when this was obviously not true.

I thought this was a battery issue, but later tonight i connected to the PM through the app and the battery symbol shows green, which makes me a bit worried on wether something else is wrong with it.

How should it normally behave when the battery gets empty, just stop working or does what I described sound right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigfatty

by bigfatty

How long will the battery last?
The battery will last about 200 hours of riding time.
source: http://support.stagescycling.com/suppor ... he-battery

I am looking at buying a stages and and researching the many interesting reads on the internet regards battery life.
for example
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 53022#null

glepore

by glepore

First, I'd contact Stages support-their service is excellent.

I've had battery life issues, all related to moisture, first before they improved the seal (they sent a replacement crank without even asking for a return of the old one) and then as a result of a break in the housing which they fixed via overnite UPS-not sure if it was my fault or theirs, but I will say that the battery door is very fragile if they don't expect you to remove the crankarm each time you change the battery.

What you describe does not sound like low battery, but they're cheap, so replace it and see. Mine would just fail to shut off and drain the battery in hours. It either connected robustly or it didn't at all.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I had something similar, but when I replaced el cheapo battery with Duracell it went away. Contacted stages, they said to check the battery compartment to make sure 3x battery contacts are there and battery door is properly shut and locked.

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Also make sure the battery cover still has three prongs on the inner lid -- they seem to have had something of a problem with them shearing off, and if it happens, you run into intermittent power loss issues, since they secure the battery against the leads over bumps etc.

mclaren

by mclaren

I have had my stages for two years now and have been through two new devices and a door replacement. The O ring is red also place a wrap of friction tape overt the battery door to ensure water resistance.

Overall ccustomer is great

bigfatty

by bigfatty

who would buy a stages after all these problems. not me now, unless they can resolve this however the internet is still full of complaints. And the worrying thing is it doesn't look like there is a fix for it yet?
none of the other power meters have such problems. wtf?

Cuki

by Cuki

Similar issue with one battery once. Changed my battery and problem resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worstshotever

by worstshotever

bigfatty wrote:who would buy a stages after all these problems. not me now, unless they can resolve this however the internet is still full of complaints. And the worrying thing is it doesn't look like there is a fix for it yet?
none of the other power meters have such problems. wtf?

Before and after my battery lid issue, the thing worked flawlessly. It's a minor detail and easy to address. Stages sent a couple replacements just in case I break another down the road. So this particular issue at least really shouldn't be a barrier to purchase. And a $600 crank-based 20g PM is a pretty fine concept.

bigfatty

by bigfatty

worstshotever wrote:Before and after my battery lid issue, the thing worked flawlessly. It's a minor detail and easy to address. Stages sent a couple replacements just in case I break another down the road. So this particular issue at least really shouldn't be a barrier to purchase. And a $600 crank-based 20g PM is a pretty fine concept.

I would like to think so but with all the chatter on the interwebs I think I will wait a little.

worstshotever

by worstshotever

Funny irony. So I just went out on a ride, like 45 minutes after posting that remark. After about 5 miles my Garmin dropped the Stages signal. I tried several times to search for it without luck. Even when it found it, it wouldn't calibrate and wouldn't display any data. No clue why. So maybe not so flawless after all!

bigfatty

by bigfatty

my apologies for getting off topic and turning this into a "is stagescycling power meter to finicky to purchase" thread.
hopefully you last post is of some value, information wise, to the OP.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Thanks for all responses, I didn't manage to ride today, but I'll try to make at least a short ride tomorrow. I should say that the street was quite bumpy at the place this happened yesterday, so perhaps it is indeed the battery loosing contact or something. I will report back when I get more information.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

The calibration with garmin is also busted. Stages recommends disconnecting all other ant+ sensors before attempting cal. Which means you should wait to pair your HRM until after calibrating stages. Or just always do it through the iPhone app.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Horacio

by Horacio

I had batt door issues right out of the box. Seems the unit mold MAY be a slight issue bc I could never get all three prongs to engage until I did some minor trimming in the areas of the body where the prongs engage with an xacto blade. Shortly thereafter, I had batt contact issues within the unit. I sent it in and it's been flawless ever since. I can't gripe too much, the people at Stages bend over backwards for its customers. On a side note, I wrap the unit with Saran Wrap before washing it. Also, if you travel a lot with your bike in a bike rack, it drains the batt of the unit bc it's picking up movement.