red rear shifter not working

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

vtxrider

by vtxrider

Last night on my ride after work i was going to put in 40 miles. Had the bike (specialized roubiax s-works) on the smallest chain ring in the front. When shifting to smaller cogs in the back it would but then it wouldn't shift into the smallest two. The shifter would get like there was no pressure. When shifting to larger cog it wouldn't catch until I it it a couple of times then it shifted fine. After making the climb and coming back I shifted into the larger chain ring up front. Everything seemed fine. Then I was 7 miles from home when I went to shift down (larger cog in back) and the shifter just went limp, didn't feel like it was pulling the cable but the cable is tight. It dropped to the smallest cog in the rear so I had to ride the final 7 miles in high gear. I have older red 10 speed components on the bike around 2009 i think, they are older.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

How old it the housing and cables that you have on the bike? It could be that your housing is getting old and that the shifter housing has frayed a bit (don't know the right term for that in English, sorry). In that case, please give your bike a new set of cables.

A test is to shift to the biggest cog in the rear and while slightly pulling on the rear der cable shift. Do not turn the cranks or spin the wheel.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

vtxrider

by vtxrider

the cable and housing is as old as the shifters so that may be the problem. I can't get it to the larges cog because it won't shift though. if i try shifting it up it has no resistance on the shift lever. My son-in-law has been after me to change out the housing and cable for a while now. Thanks for your reply

jjmstang

by jjmstang

I change out cables every spring and fall, just be on the safe side. Housings, whenever I see them deteriorating.
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

vtxrider

by vtxrider

thanks that is the problem. the cable completely snapped. i'll be replacing all of the cables.