Squeaky Brakes!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

About 3 months ago, I bought new kcnc brakes. They came with some funky looking pads, which I immediately replaced with SwissStop BXP Flash-Pros. I'm not exactly sure when it started, but maybe about a month after I installed the new brakes, I started to experience really bad squeaking from the rear brake. Originally, I thought this might have been due to sugary energy mixes dripping from my bottles, onto the rim surface. So I stopped using carbo drink mixes, but the problem persisted. Now, I also get squeaking from the front brake.
Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I am going to assume who are using alloy rims. Have you cleaned the rim with rubbing alcohol? Have you sanded the pads? I would do those 2 things first, and check toe in, but it should be fine if they have been used.

Also check the pad bolts and the brake bolt, squealing is caused by vibration so anything that could work loose and vibrate you should check.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

i have done all of those things. Strange, right?

em3

by em3

...have u simply tried adding more toe-in?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Perhaps the problem lies in the kcnc brakes. If you declare what they are, people with the same may be able to comment.

You should've bought ee! :wink:
Less is more.

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

@em3 ...did that...
@shimmeD hahaha, probably should have gone with EE, but then i would be broke!

Got the kcnc c7s
Going to head over to the shop tomorrow, might try some new pads or something

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I got quite a bit of squealing with my C7s on carbon rims (with various pads/toe in). Would not rule out the brake has something to do with it. No more issues with beefier calipers now.

fitty4

by fitty4

I had cb1 for quite some time with kool stop dura2, I think it was the dual compound that was silent but the black and salmon were both squealing but it has to do something with the brakes and the pad position I guess because I changed to sram red and kept the pads and the kcnc pad holder (sram brakes with kcnc pad holder 238 gr.) and now the pads are silent

ergott

by ergott

I've never had to toe in a road caliper for alloy rims. Shouldn't be necessary, but then again I've only used Campagnolo and Shimano calipers. The brake feel for toed in pads is horrible and I won't use brakes that require this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com