Chain length

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

I am going with a new cassette that is one tooth larger on the top (than current cassette). Would I need to lengthen new chain (I change casette and chain together) or keep it same length as old one? No other changes to drive train.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I always just determine the size by doing big/big skip derailleur + two links (ensuring it is an inner link) + quick link. You could always check with the current chain to see if the length is okay before changing the chain.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Three methods i've used.
Big Big + 2 links.
Big Small (53x11 for example) with the jockey wheels vertical.
Small Small with the chain as close to the top knuckle of the rear mech cage as physically possible, but not touching. (Doesn't work so well on a triple/MTB!)

Depending on how it was sized before, you either will, or won't be ok. (Easy way to check is to run it in Big Big and see how much further the rear mech cage has to go before it maxes out)

wingguy

by wingguy

sfo423 wrote:Would I need to lengthen new chain (I change casette and chain together) or keep it same length as old one?

Quite obviously, it depends on your current set up. You might be maxed out already, you might not.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

mattr wrote:Depending on how it was sized before, you either will, or won't be ok.

Enough said. Stop typing and put it on.