Best road tyres for wet and cold weather/winter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tillquist

by Tillquist

What is the Best tyres you have on your bike in the Winther seson.
See all my bike h e r e

dogg

by dogg

last winter i ran some 25mm michelin pro races, and 25mm vittoria rubino pros. both worked well for me, no flats or anything. ran em real low, like <80 psi. the vittorias didn't ride so nicely but they were much better on snowy roads that the michelins. michelins were better in the wet and rode nicer but i ended up on the vittorias most of the winter because i ride in the snow a lot.

if you're not riding in the snow id just run whatever tires you have now tho, unless they are very fragile or susceptible to punctures. the softer the rubber and more supple the better imo. i will probably end up some Compass or Grand Bois tires this winter, maybe a 26mm Panaracer Gravelking for more puncture protection, because changing flats in the cold truly sucks a big one

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

campbellrae

by campbellrae

I have been really impressed with Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG's, before I switched to tubs on my road bikes I wore 2 sets out(around 7000km total) without a single flat. Fairly light and good grip both wet and dry.

luckypuncheur

by luckypuncheur

Conti GP4Season. No flat in 3 Winters with more than 15k km in total, 3 Tours of Flanders and one Paris-Roubaix. Unparalleled in wet/cold conditions.
The Open Pavés are also nice while the Rubinos ride crappy and are puncture prone in my experience.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk
Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

jjmstang

by jjmstang

28mm Pave tubulars on Nemesis w/ dura ace hubs...........virtually bombproof
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I chicken out when it is cold or wet ...

tuba

by tuba

as noted above Continental Grand Prix 4-Season
w/ 2-layer Vectran breaker and DuraSkin sidewall reinforcement

i ride down to around 30 degrees F.
1 nail puncture in 4 years of winter riding

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I have been using the 4 Seasons as well, and they take some beating (never a flat). But they really take some fun out of it, after a season on supple tubulars. My Pavé got cut up a bit (sharp grit) but the damage seemed only superficial, they didn't flat either. It's really a questions of where you live (Scandinavia, right?) and trade offs you are willing to take. Fair weather (no ice) winter setup for this season is going to be 25mm Conti Comps on alu rims.

CBJ

by CBJ

I run the 4 seasons too in 28c. They have a stiff sidewall so you can run them with low tire pressure. Rubber is very sticky so they are slower than my Turbo Pro.

RussellS

by RussellS

Winter? As in snow and ice and freezing temperatures? If so, then Schwalbe carbide studded tires. I use the Marathon Winter 35mm tires on an old single speed bike. You can get tires from 30mm to 50mm width. Starbike sells a wide variety of studded tires.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

4 seasons get murdered here in winter, too much flint about. Killed so many last year without even 1000 miles on them it was not funny. Pave's faired better this winter but that is mostly luck I think as I have flatted them over summer. The only tyre that can cop with flint is the marathon plus or the gator skin hard shell, neither are much fun. For ice studded tyres, conti nordic spike is what I try this year if it gets icy.

djwalker

by djwalker

For snow and ice conditions I use Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires. They are the only thing I have tried that has any kind of traction on ice. Not that I ride on an ice rink or anything like that but the roads here get patchy ice some days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com