Amazing brake setup

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Another reason for right-rear could be in a panic situation where a right-handed person naturally grabs a handful (right hand!) resulting in a skid rather than a flight over the bars.

Notice too on rmerka's Cervelo that the frame is correctly made for optimum routing of the rear brake. I've seen the opposite but have not taken note whether these frames have come from (not necessarily manufactured!) countries with RH drive cars.

On 'mechanically-enhanced' bikes there's an argument for the stop on the frame is RHS for front deraileur.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tantra

by tantra

greentimgreen wrote:Interesting, this is very similar to my planned set up.

Can you state what side your front brake lever is on? I'm in the UK and we typically have our front levers on the right hand side, and I've read recently that this negatively impacts modulation of the front brake. Not sure how much truth there is in that. I've never noticed an issue with previous DA setups.

Mine is front=left. I can't see how the side would make much difference. I have the older eebrakes on my seven bike with d/a 9000 levers and regular (not polymer) cables. Everything else is the same (enve tubular rims, lightweight pads). The braking power is almost the same on my sever, but the brakes feel squishy. I can't really tell by feel when the pads contact the rims. Nowhere near as good as the parlee described in my original post. I think its a combination of the low-friction polymer-coated cables and stiffer calipers on the new eebrakes. I'm going to re-cable my seven with the poly cables and see if that helps. If not, I MIGHT consider replacing the old eebrakes on my seven with the new eebrakes.

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I know it sounds strange that the lever side would make a difference but I read somewhere that it does. Looking at the front view of the caliper the angle of approach would be more acute. As I said, I'll be trying it out n the next week or so and will report back!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I am from Australia, we run right hand front brake here too. My EE work fine with this routing, I can see what people are talking about with the cable approach angle but it isn't an issue. You can always run a front brake short so it enters the cable pivot at the perfect angle as the cable length required will never change with rotating the bars (as front brake is a constant distance from shifter at all times) unlike rear brake and derailleur housing.

I would agree that L hand front is better if only because you can still have maximum brake force and be simultaneously switching down your RD. It is difficult to be hard on the front brake and dumping gears with R hand braking, certainly on SRAM Red anyways.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Perhaps I'm oversold on right-rear but I swear that the cable movement (when applying brake) looks like it's better.

NiFTY, time you changed to right-rear.
Less is more.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I have come too far shimmeD. My brain is programmed Right-Front. Should have set it that way when i started but no one told me.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

That's may goal.. New EEs with 9070 levers and enves. Got everything but the EEs
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package