Dura-Ace polymer coated cables/housing; SWEET!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

Just wanted to drop a line about those Dura-Ace 9000 'Polymer coated' cables/housing. This is not to be confused with the PTFE coated cables/housing...
Surely not the lightest cable-set around (however i forgot to take a weight), these cables are nuts! I might be late to the party, but I rode over to the shop yesterday and replaced my brake cables/housing with these new cables (no shift cables 'cuz Di2), and they are smooth as buttah. Seriously, these cables are ridiculously smooth and friction-less, and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking to replace their cables, and wouldn't mind adding a couple of grams (if you are currently running some stupid light set) to their build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

Good to know, thanks for posting! I read about these in Cyclist magazine this month and was curious. Added to my new build list!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

cfr

by cfr

They also greatly improve the shifting/braking of previous generation (7900, 6700) groupsets as well.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

I've used a complete 9000 cable set on 5700 and now I'm running a full 5800 group. I think the polymer coated cables make a huge difference on the mechanical shifters. But I don't think they're worth the extra cost for the brake cables. Just my opinion. And I would go for the 5800 polymer coated shift cables to save some money. I think a complete 9000 cable/housing set runs around $100.

PSM

by PSM

Thx! :thumbup:

kode54

by kode54

that's good news. interesting that the PTFE went to polymer coating. didn't see anything about that.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

esfrost

by esfrost

I'm planning on getting a set of these Dura Ace 9000 cables (gears, brakes) for my Ultegra 6700, as i read great things about it. This might be a stupid question, but, are they compatible with ultrgra 6700 brakes and shifters?

ms6073

by ms6073

kode54 wrote:that's good news. interesting that the PTFE went to polymer coating. didn't see anything about that.

Can't say if this is the reason, but like the Gore RideOn Pro cables I used to use, I have noticed with or bikes, I have noticed the PTFE 'coating' flaking off the brake cables where it exits the housings.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I haven't used the Dura-Ace Polymer cables, but have plenty of experience with the PTFE.

Just want to put in a plug for the Yokozuna Reaction shift cables/housing. I use them on one bike running 7900 and my winter bike running 6700. The winter bike sees a ton of rain riding, and I just checked and noted that I have over 12000 km on the Yoko cables since installing them and they are still shifting super smooth! I don't use the Yoko brake stuff, I find the ultra-stiff housing a PITA to work with.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

esfrost wrote:This might be a stupid question, but, are they compatible with ultrgra 6700 brakes and shifters?

They're completely interchangeable.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Weird, I optimistically installed the polymer coated cables in my SRAM RED group and can't say there's an appreciable difference. Definitely not enough to warrant me running these over a plain $2 SS cable in the future. Had to try though!

fancycoconut

by fancycoconut

Imaking20 wrote:Weird, I optimistically installed the polymer coated cables in my SRAM RED group and can't say there's an appreciable difference. Definitely not enough to warrant me running these over a plain $2 SS cable in the future. Had to try though!

did you also use the special housing or did you just do the cables? The cables alone in standard housing aren't really so special, but when combined with the polymer coated housing, they work wonders...

tantra

by tantra

I posted elsewhere about this, but I can add one thing. The d/a polymer cables work really well with nokon liners and housing. You're not stuck with the d/a housing. It's the polymer cables that are so amazing. When they fray, instead of gouging the liner and becoming draggy, the polymer becomes fluffy and the drag on the liner goes down. I bet you could use these cables and liners with all the groupsets. Not cheap however.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I used the paired polymer cables and housing. Glad to hear other people had better results at least. Next time around I'll just go segmented housing and back to non-coated SS cables though.

CBJ

by CBJ

cfr wrote:They also greatly improve the shifting/braking of previous generation (7900, 6700) groupsets as well.

That is great news my bike needs some fine tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com