Dura-Ace polymer coated cables/housing; SWEET!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

What about Yokozuna?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yokozuna are my "go to" for SS cables. Maybe that's why I didn't notice anything life changing with the polymer coated setup.

I definitely noticed a difference going from gagwire to Yokozuna.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

Just beware that the polymer coated cables wear more quickly. The reports of 11sp derailleur cables snapping are not outliers. My RD cable was badly frayed at the shifter after 6 months and ~4500 miles when I ran them on 5700. I plan to replace the RD cable (myself) every 6 months and the FD every 12 months. The cables are so much smoother that I don't mind the extra hassle. If you throw a PTFE inner cable on Shimano 11sp you're basically getting a bike that shifts no better than the outgoing 10sp groups.

rijndael

by rijndael

I thought the short cable life was related to the bend in the shifter, which was rectified in the 9001 shifter. I hadn't heard of shorter life when run on non 9000 shifters. Thanks.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

No, the cable routing turned out to have nothing to do with it. The new shifters have the same problem. Also, I've heard of two cases of 6800 cables snapping.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

I've had a few cables on my 6700 fray to a few strands after about 5000 miles too. Not the best of luck with cables lately, partly why I'm likely to go electronic next bike. I was tempted to try the 31 strand Alligator cable, but haven't seen those in stock anywhere, so I opted for the polymer coated cables, just need to install them.

tantra

by tantra

Do the brake cables fray or only the derailleur cables?

dunbar42

by dunbar42

tantra wrote:Do the brake cables fray or only the derailleur cables?

IME just the derailleur cables. The cable wears at the cable guide in the shifter. All cables wear in that area but the polymer coated ones tend to fray and eventually snap if you let them go too far.