Why do Saddles have noses?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

totoboa

by totoboa

Another take based on the replies is that the seat nose is a dinosaur and not needed or used unless you go way over aero or Ride TT. And like a lot of other archaic and misdirecting cycling terms founded in fuddery, the "rivet" is a long long long gone and dead term.

Why do 99% of the riders who don't need or use a nose on a bike seat have one ? Because of the 1% that do.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

LOL, which one of them do you work for?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If saddles on road bikes were not needed people would fit the 'noseless' saddles that can be found on a lot of time trial bikes, wouldn't they?

And why don't you Americans learn to speak? It's a s-a-d-d-l-e - not a seat. You get seats on trains, and you get saddles on things like horses and bikes.

rmerka

by rmerka

Irish

by Irish

"On the rivet" was explained to me as "When racers are riding hard enough their hamstrings don't fully expand after each contraction and riders shift forward on the saddle hence they move forward on the saddle along the nose". :)

mattr

by mattr

Might be a little uncomfortable without a nose to slide onto........

Franklin

by Franklin

Valbrona wrote:The term 'on the rivet' actually explains all you need to know.

I disagree here, quite simply because of the existence and succes of sell SMP> Nobody will try to ride the rivet on those saddles... and they are serious business for a lot of experienced and powerfull riders. Yeah, they look like crap, but I as many other never had a better saddle after trying everything under the sun.

There's a bit more to it (I'm thinking stability?).

totoboa

by totoboa

mattr wrote:LOL, which one of them do you work for?

I work for the Highway Department, mate !!

If saddles on road bikes were not needed people would fit the 'noseless' saddles that can be found on a lot of time trial bikes, wouldn't they?

And why don't you Americans learn to speak? It's a s-a-d-d-l-e - not a seat. You get seats on trains, and you get saddles on things like horses and bikes.

No, a saddle has a horn on it. Stirrups, and is put over a blanket.

tinozee

by tinozee

You guys are nuts, I use all of the saddle. I can see a slightly shorter nose, but a usable long nose is great too. The adamo breakaway rules. I also like aliante anteres, etc., but the adamo is really the fav for me. Can go into TT pos and sit back, little of both.

bura

by bura

Can it be ,that you "balance" your bicycle not only with your arms&hands but you need your back AND legs ?
OK. here are some without noses...known as "ladies or skirt saddles"..
http://www.fahrradgigant.de/Fahrradersa ... 30613.html
http://www.fahrrad-gaertner.de/unterkat ... B/280.html (you can dismount the nose)
http://www.fahrrad-gaertner.de/unterkat ... B/280.html
http://www.fabial.de/p300-easyseat-i.kaufen.html
http://www.fahrradgigant.de/Fahrradersa ... 13252.html
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

totoboa

by totoboa

The CF Merek seat on eBay that I wanted to post is elusive right now, the site says they are on holiday and site down.

Check: the site is back up but the seat is gone.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

There isn't a steep hill where I am _not_ "on the rivet", so I am totally perplexed by this thread and the responses, especially the ones that state that it's only for a more aero/TT position.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

kbbpll wrote:There isn't a steep hill where I am _not_ "on the rivet", .

You might want to do that on a >20% so that the front wheel does not lift.

And how do you ride a long hill or mountain with a more gradual gradient?

kbbpll

by kbbpll

>20%? How often does anyone get on a grade like that on a road bike? and I live on the edge of the Rocky Mtns, and my regular climb is HC, 11 miles with 3000' raw elevation gain, max grade around 15-16% for a few short distances. I frequently do the entire climb without getting out of the saddle. I'm probably "on the rivet" for anything over 7-8%. I'm willing to admit that I might be an anomaly - 195 cm tall, very light, and on a 65 cm frame, so certainly my center of gravity is probably high relative to other riders. But still. I can't imagine why on any relatively long steep climb you wouldn't want to shift your weight over the pedals instead of behind them. When you stand up on a climb, is it to get your body further back? I think not. But this discussion is about "why do saddles have noses", and for me, climbing is certainly one reason why.

Hastur

by Hastur

I have a nose on my saddle because I tend to shift positions on it.

Long climb (sitting ;-) ): At the back of it.

Flat road/Rolling hills/Peloton: "middle".

TT-position/Aero/Tuck: At the front.

Wouldn't a saddle that offers a more static position also be harmful to other parts of your body?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com