Why do Saddles have noses?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RChevalier

by RChevalier

I know its a dumb question. But i just got to thinking about it and wanted to ask is all. I find my butt never touches the first 3 inches of the saddle when riding. Only time it does touch my butt is when it snags my bib sometimes after I sit back down from standing up. Why not just make them without the nose, would save weight too. Although... I guess aesthetically it would look kind of ugly...

But if the saddle nose could talk, I would ask it, "hey, why are you here?"

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Usage of the nose depends on both your particular saddle and your riding style, but traditionally the nose of the saddle is used often, normally when in a low "aero" position.

The position of your contact points is not static normally people will subconsciously move backwards a little when climbing as they sit up and they pelvis rotates backwards. Conversely when in a low position or time trialling the pelvis will be rotated forward and most of the weight will on the nose of the saddle. People will also subconsciously (or consciously) move forward in addition to their rotation when TTing to get their weight directly over or in front of the center of the pedal. This is why the UCI stipulates a minimum distance from the front of the saddle to the center of the BB in TT so extreme forward positions are impossible.

The term "on the rivet" actually refers to perching oneself over the rivet on the front of the saddle. Ie. At your limit, using every biomechanical advantage to generate power. Have a look at an old Brooks saddle to see the rivet they refer to.

In summary, if you ain't using the nose, either your saddle is mispositioned or you need to stretch.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

ADDIT - for reference -

Der Panzerwagon "on the rivet" on TT
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tony ... B900%3B715

Spartacus on road bike on rivet
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tony ... 000%3B1370
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

People who have their saddle too far forward for their style of riding and their type of riding by default do not use the nose portion. Having the saddle positioned too far forward is a common error made by lots of cyclists, and some of them supposedly 'experienced'. The term 'on the rivet' actually explains all you need to know.

rmerka

by rmerka

They can be had (http://bisaddle.com) is the first one i saw when i googled it, but I think it's BS. It's ugly and the site smacks of dumbassery. In addition to the on the rivet comments I bet it would feel pretty strange taking a fast corner without a nose on your saddle too.

Bogan

by Bogan

That "Bisaddle" has got to be the ugliest saddle out there. Just looking at them makes me think that the user probably needs pilchers on as well!
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

kman

by kman

Adamo saddles?
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

Rick

by Rick

I used to find myself "on the rivet" occasionally, but I hate it and it is very uncomfortable. So I just concentrated on trying to position myself and produce power while seated in the "comfortable area". So I try to "push over the top" of the pedal stroke, which tends to push me backward, and I have the nose tilted slightly up.
But I am not very powerful, so there you go!

I thought the purpose of the nose was to "guide you" back onto the saddle as you sit back down from out of the saddle efforts.

donald

by donald

Maybe it's just me but I have been riding a Dash saddle, the model I have does not have a nose. I have had no problems in any way using it. It weighs 32 grams. I also notice no difference switching back and forth from my other bikes which have traditional saddles. I wish I would have had this saddle 44 years ago when I started riding road bikes. Even during my 28 years of racing experience I never found my self on the front of my saddle.

RChevalier

by RChevalier

Well there it is then, mystery solved and the term "on the rivet" and rest of the usage explained. They do good work here. :thumbup:

Oswald

by Oswald

I have an SLR Team with a clipped nose. I love it.

wingguy

by wingguy

rmerka wrote:They can be had (http://bisaddle.com) is the first one i saw when i googled it, but I think it's BS.

Holy bejeesus - $230(!), 750g(!!!), as wide as a park bench and it's for "the serious cyclist".

Thanks guys, don't give up the day job :lol:

rmerka

by rmerka

750g!!!! I didn't go that deep into the site. Quite frankly the I couldn't get past this :unbelievable: :lol:

Last edited by rmerka on Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattr

by mattr

Why do some saddles not have noses might be a better question.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

It could be said that 'noseless' saddles only offer one position on the saddle, and as such are useful when multiple positions on the saddle are just not required, like time trialling or some track disciplines.