Why do Saddles have noses?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

kbbpll wrote:>20%? How often does anyone get on a grade like that on a road bike?

LOL. Round here? Every ride. :beerchug:

mattr

by mattr

The gravel road that leads to my front door hits 20%, once up, once down.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Franklin

by Franklin

kbbpll wrote:>20%? How often does anyone get on a grade like that on a road bike? and I live on the edge of the Rocky Mtns, and my regular climb is HC, 11 miles with 3000' raw elevation gain, max grade around 15-16% for a few short distances. I frequently do the entire climb without getting out of the saddle. I'm probably "on the rivet" for anything over 7-8%. I'm willing to admit that I might be an anomaly - 195 cm tall, very light, and on a 65 cm frame, so certainly my center of gravity is probably high relative to other riders. But still. I can't imagine why on any relatively long steep climb you wouldn't want to shift your weight over the pedals instead of behind them. When you stand up on a climb, is it to get your body further back? I think not. But this discussion is about "why do saddles have noses", and for me, climbing is certainly one reason why.

You are saying you can't climb with an SMP saddle? :mrgreen:

Rick

by Rick

kbbpll wrote:I can't imagine why on any relatively long steep climb you wouldn't want to shift your weight over the pedals instead of behind them.

Because maybe one has already located their saddle in a position such that they can get their most powerful or efficient spin while sitting in the "normal" position.
Then, of course, one always still has the option of standing for more temporary power.

wingguy

by wingguy

We have plenty of super steep climbs around here - several that are signposted at over 25%, some smaller roads that kick even steeper, and I've never worried about getting weight forwards. In fact, when it's very cold and/or wet then you need to stay back a little when out of the saddle to stop the rear from slipping.