Aero Seatpost: cutting weight, ideas?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prebsy

by prebsy

I just got a neilpryde Nazare. The seat post is an absolute hog at 214g. It seems like there is a lot of room for weight loss on the saddle clamp. Has anyone found extremely lightweight parts for this style clamp? I have also thought about retro fitting the uberlight cradle and yoke setup. Do you think this would work? :noidea: :noidea: :noidea:

Shaft weight 133g
clamp weight 81g

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

I have several bikes with similar clamp mechanisms, and have been tempted to replace the bottom half with a carbon cradle and the top section with separate yokes, but I've never got around to spending the money to test it out. I've been slightly concerned the cradle won't survive the sh1t British roads.

Very interested to hear how the thread develops though! :popcorn:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

I think there are some carbon cradles that would provide support equal to to the current cradle. I'm more concerned with running the front bolt in reverse through the yoke. You would need a pretty big cut out to ensure you could tighten it from the top (correctly, gotta keep the yoke dead straight).

BmanX

by BmanX

I dropped a lot of weight off my Cervelo post by using ti bolts and doing some modifications. I was able to get the post down to 145g from the stock almost 200g.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Oswald

by Oswald

BmanX, you could even drop some more weight by shortening the rear bolt. It's sticking out half a cm :mrgreen:
But honestly, I think it looks like a lot of stress on a very small cradle surface. How long have you been riding it like that? How much do you weigh?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I rode this set up for mover 2 years and I was at the time 85kg.

I now ride this post which is much much lighter.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades