Bead hook fit on Fulcrum 2-way

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

breakjnky

by breakjnky

Wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the combination I am using of Fulcrum wheels with 2-way fit bead hooks with Michelin Pro 4 tires with a tube installed. I rode the wheels for quite a few hours without any problems. On my last ride, the tire blew right off the rim in a violent way. Same thing happened after replacing the tube, putting in a few hours of riding, then having it blow off again.

There is no way that the bead was not seated properly or that the tube was pinched. I check this every time I put in a new tube. Considering the miles I put in before it blew, it most likely isn't the cause of the problem.

Fulcrum wheels with 2-way fit bead hooks have somewhat of a hybrid of traditional clincher bead hooks and the tubeless type. The Michelin Pro 4 tires had little wear on them, but I am wondering if tire stretch may have played a factor, especially with a bead hook that is a hybrid. Also thinking that the combination of the tire and the rim are just not a good combo.

Also, after comparing the bead on the tire to several other tires, I noticed it was smaller and more flexible than other brands.

Has anyone else had any of the same problems with the 2-way fit rim or Mich pro 4 tires as a combination or by themselves? Any speculation of what might be happening or the cause (other than it not being seated properly).

Any input would be appreciated.
Attachments
2wf775.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Tire could be damaged from whatever caused the first blowout. Tire stretch doesn't really occur to the same degree in clinchers unless the bead is broken. Try feeling around the tire for any soft spots.

breakjnky

by breakjnky

I examined the tire and even had a mechanic inspect it. Couldn't find any defects. I also put it on a different rim without any problems. I'm stumped on what is going on.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Dented rim?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Having a tyre blow off usually ruins them as the bead often ends up kinked or stretched, that's if it wasn't defective in the first place. If a bead is damaged you tend not to notice it. Or perhaps that tyre was on a slightly oversize rim before you fitted it to your Fulcrums.

But you might have just found a bad combination ... meaning a slightly oversize tyre with a slightly undersize rim.

Too much powder? Grease on the rim? Grease on the tyre bead? Or lots of rain water acting as a lubricant?

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Most likely one of these above ^^^ initially and now the bead has been damaged from the blowout resulting in not seating properly. I am running the exact same combo you are and no issues, even up to 120psi. Been on them since February

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com