9070 Di2 rd setup question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tantra

by tantra

I recently installed the 9070 group on a new Parlee z5sli build using the SRAM XG-1190 11-28t cassette and a KMC X11SL chain. I have a THM Clavicula compact crank in front with Praxis rings. I am noticing some hesitation when I shift to larger cogs near the center of the cassette. I can trim-out this hesitation, but then I get a bit of chatter from the chain contacting the adjacent cog. Any suggestions on how to adjust this rd?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

subscribed!

I will soon be running nearly the identical setup... except using a DA chain.. Still using FC9000 crankset, waiting on BB PF30 for the THM.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Derailleur hanger alignment?

tantra

by tantra

goodboyr wrote:Derailleur hanger alignment?

Good thought. I checked it with my PT alignment tool and it was OK.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Tantra, would you say the XG 1190 works any better?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

afalts

by afalts

Try a Shimano chain (and possibly cassette). KMC 11sp width = 5.50 mm, Shimano 11sp width = 5.88 mm (same as their 10 sp IIRC).

rmerka

by rmerka

My personal experience I've noticed the KMC X11SL to be nosier than than a SRAM chain with the 1190 cassette. Just couldn't get to run quiet. I've switched back to my "exploding" DA cassette with a Dura ace chain. Quietest combo you can get. SRAM chain and cassette is very quiet too.

tantra

by tantra

wheelsONfire wrote:Tantra, would you say the XG 1190 works any better?

I chose the XG-1190 because I heard bad things about the 9000 cassette and because I prefer the gear spacing of the 1190. I have not been overly impressed with the shifting, but my bike is a mix of components from different manufacturers. The 1190 probably works fine in a full SRAM groupset.

tantra

by tantra

afalts wrote:Try a Shimano chain (and possibly cassette). KMC 11sp width = 5.50 mm, Shimano 11sp width = 5.88 mm (same as their 10 sp IIRC).

But shouldn't a narrower chain be less likely to rub the adjacent cog?

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I run 9070, SRAM XG1190 11-26, Shimano DA chain, and Rotor QRings 52/39T setup. I've only noticed a hesitation when in the small up front, and largest 1-2 in the back, and try to jump to the big ring, it won't go sometimes. Then again, kind of dumb to be cross chaining like that.

Middle though, never have issues, or any other combo I can think of shifting. And with QRings, you would think I would have more issues, but it shifts fine except in one specific instance that I wouldn't normally ever do anyway.

I do get chain rub sounds on the rear cogs...that is likely as others have mentioned the Shimano chain being just a touch wider. Next chain I think I'm going to try SRAM/KMC that is a touch narrower and see what happens. Probably only an issue with the SRAM rear cassette and Chain. I would think the SRAM Chain was designed to pair up with the cog spacing.

aaric

by aaric

The adjustment for Di2 is to get adjust to a slight rub, and then micro adjust back the other way when programming: It's 4 or 5 clicks, I can't recall which. A narrower chain would throw the position off when adjusted according to shimano's specs. You'd need to go another .19 mm with a KMC chain to get the chain centerline to be where a shimano chain would be.

kode54

by kode54

i have similar set up...but with DA9000 cassette. i adjust rear in middle cog. THM M3 crank, but should be similar to your set up as well. no spacer drive side...used spacer on ND side. no noise with shimano chain.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ricey155

by ricey155

There a pain tbf I've got mine running lovely through the top end but 9,10,11 clatter like mad with kmc 11 speed chain, the old ultegra 6800 was quieter - its like have worn cables all over again

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

The thing about the SRAM cassette is it has those elastomer rings. They tilt the chain and cause a rub when you're just pedaling in the stand. Drag the brake and add a little pressure, the noise should go away. It may be possible to remove the rings during adjustment, I haven't tried that yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com