Advice on BB86 choice for C60 build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Putting together a bit of dream build, Colnago C60 built with Dura-Ace 9070. I am going back and forth over the BB choice, between using the stock Dura-Ace BB86 with Delrin cups or going with something more exotic like a Chris King PF24 or Ceramic Speed BB86. I've read a few things here and there about having alloy BB cups pressed into an alloy shell and resultant creaking, and that the Delrin cups Shimano uses will limit the possibility.

Suggestions?

highdraw

by highdraw

You may want to read the following thread...Loctite helps:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65850&start=15

Me personally, I would simply install an Ultegra 6800 bottom bracket. Price Point has them for $25 and believe Shimano for BB86 doesn't distinguish between Ultegra and DA for BB86.

If you use Loctite 641 and both plastic cups and female BB bores are perfectly clean it should be trouble free.
I would save the $100+ over Chris King's PF24 personally.

If you don't use Loctite, BB86 can be hit or miss for creaking. I personally would avoid the Wheel Mfg alloy BB but if you Loctite it, it should be quiet and provide good durability as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SGMD

by SGMD

I have used the standard Dura Ace BB86 BB in three different frames (no Loctite, just a little grease). No creaks in any of them over thousands of miles.

highdraw

by highdraw

SGMD,
I don't believe there is a standard 'Dura Ace' BB86 BB. It maybe sold as that to perhaps exact a premium price but there is a Shimano BB86 BB which of course applies to both Ultegra 6800 and DA 9000 cranks.

And yes, some will be fine without Locitite. Depends on the tolerance of your particular frame and even your strength as a rider.
Tom Boonen will get more BB's to creak than riders on this board. Loctite is more of an insurance against creaking.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

The 105 & Ultegra are the same parts (SM-BB72-41B).

The Dura-Ace is part no. SM-BB92-41B and is 9g lighter (54g vs 63g).

For a C60 build I'd go for the Dura-Ace.

highdraw

by highdraw

Good catch 585. Would love to know the difference aside from the stamped part number. ;)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

The weight?

highdraw

by highdraw

9 grams is a haircut if its even true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Thanks for the opinions, I think I'm going to go for the Shimano BB instead of King. I have King threaded BBs in 2 bikes and while they are nice they don't really do anything magical either.