When will we see wireless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PiperGreen

by PiperGreen

I stumbled upon a possible issue with wireless group sets while recently using the latest Garmin wireless speed sensor. The sensor is ant+, is strapped around either wheel hub, needs to be paired like any other speed or cadence sensor to communicate with a Garmin Edge, and contains no magnet. It seemed to work well until one day I started getting speed readings that would quickly bounce back and forth erratically between 23 mph (the correct speed) and 12 mph. Since the sensor is wrapped around a hub using a rubber strap, I figured it was slipping. So I moved the sensor from the front hub to the larger rear hub expecting that to solve the problem. It did not. Then I put a touch of rubber cement on the strap to keep it in place, and once again, at some point I started getting the bad readings. Finally, I realized that on my Sunday rides I take a different route and the issue only happened on Sunday. As I paid closer attention, whenever I rode within half a mile of a very large construction site, the speed readings would bounce around, clearly indicating that there was some transmission from the site interfering with my pairing. So, one has to wonder...what would happen if my group set was wireless?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weenie

by weenie

it could happen but thats very strong interferences.
i suspect its more of a battery problem (wireless uses a bit more power than wired) and also when you have 200 riders near one another, thats 200 wireless signals and that doesnt actually work very well on constrained radio bandwith like the 2.4ghz band for public use. kinda bad for pros.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

With all the wireless products out there, I'm certain all the bugs will be worked out before it arrives. Remember it's SRAM.

As for drop outs and hacks, it will probably be just fine. I have a new phone and it never drops calls and.........oh, never mind. I think I'll steer clear for the time being.

virenque

by virenque