Using the Zipp SL sprint stem...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Just got this stem from Kwalker (thanks!) and though it's a piece of art imo, it's unusually bulky. I can't really use the barfly in front of it as the front piece bulges out - I had to tilt the mount up quite a bit and exploit this small depression at the top to twist the garmin unit in or out.

uploadfromtaptalk1411444633106.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1411444658904.jpg

It covers up the entire mounting area of the Vuka sprint bars, and any out-front mount will be forced to clamp down on the wing-shaped area. I had to file down the width of the barfly and it'll still be warped sideways when clamping it down. The garmin unit is thus tilted.

uploadfromtaptalk1411444880777.jpg

I like the cockpit but I can't live with mounting the unit on the stem, so be prepared for some modifications to be made if you chose to use the stem...

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Or you can just talk nicely to Tillquist about a mount that connects to the facepate bolts...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

I don't think the Vuka Sprint was designed with any of the 'out-front' Garmin mounts in mind. The new SL-70 (updated version of the Vuka Sprint) has more round area for the mounts to clamp on to.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Tillquist declined to make one for my previous SL145 previously though. So now I'll have to change to new bars to suit the stem lol...

Holiday

by Holiday

I use a SRAM garmin Mount on my Vukasprint and it fits nicely cause its a bit longer and
also the mounting onto the handlebar is narrower
Attachments
Sram Mount.jpg
Sram Mount.jpg (4.84 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
NA

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I can attest to the new SL-70 aero bars being a lot easier to accommodate a garmin mount! Still, I didn't have issues with mounts on my Vukasprints.

I've got one of the aforementioned SRAM mounts I could swap you for you Barfly though :)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

You wouldn't want my barfly, I had sanded it down here and there in many areas and I've no doubt it'll break someday travelling over a rough patch ha. Thanks for the heads up on the Sram mount, I'll give that a shot.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

You could try with one of the edge1000 specific mounts. The K-edge version should work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I tried to fit a k-edge before and the metal will certainly bite into the rounded part at the bottom, so I've just ordered a sram mount to try. I also emailed raceware about a potential custom mount and they replies in a few hours saying it'll costs £60 to customise a design that fixes onto the faceplate bolts like Tillquist's and £30 for the mount itself. That's a third of the cost of my Edge 510...

Darceking

by Darceking

Hmm I got the same stem and just purchased the k-edge mount. Hoping I won't have a problem.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

@Darceking if you don't use the SL145 or SL Sprint stem you should be ok. Otherwise...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com