Top custom carbon frame builders?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

amey

by amey

Craddock and Berk (?)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Yep, I did six days of riding on that exact model and it was the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

Having a really skewed inseam-to-torso/height ratio takes all the fun out of buying bikes.

highdraw

by highdraw

RedRacer wrote:

Yep, I did six days of riding on that exact model and it was the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

Having a really skewed inseam-to-torso/height ratio takes all the fun out of buying bikes.

I responded to your PM Redracer.
Any so called 'skewed inseam to torso ratio' can be easily compensated by 1-2 stem sizes on an endurance geometry...if...your position on the bike is considered traditional. This is no criticism but rather to point out that you are taking your torso/leg length ratio and combining it with an unusually upright fit which makes finding a production bicycle more difficult.

Below is a good recreational fit (not racer) and my guess is you look nothing like the rider below:

Attachments
bike_fit1sideview Comfort Fit.jpg

RedRacer

by RedRacer

I have never been comfortable with a totally flat back (John Cobb A) but I don't think I am a full B style either.

The fitting stuff is a bit OT so I will start a new thread for that. Back to carbon frames now :)
Last edited by RedRacer on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

highdraw

by highdraw

Let's call those pics you put up 'oblique' or more frontal views of your riding position.

As time permits, we need a 90 degree side view from the crank side of you on the bike either on a trainer or leaned against the wall. Have your wife or girl friend snap the pics...just like the pic I posted above. No rain suit....and best to have one pic on the hoods in your normal position and the other in the drops.

As to A versus B back that Cobb writes about. Understood...you are in between...and I am likely as well.

From what I see, you are just what you describe....riding far too cramped for your long body.

What I will do, is take your side view position and photoshop you into a better position. If you have two road bikes, you can tinker with your position on one to get it closer to a more idealized position.

kode54

by kode54

have you checked out Storck? their geometries are not the norm and may fit you.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

boots2000

by boots2000

How about Matt Appleman?

fa63

by fa63

kode54 wrote:have you checked out Storck? their geometries are not the norm and may fit you.

Storck tend to be long and low, the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

stang1

by stang1

A Legend HT9.5 . Its an absolute banger of a bike! Compared to my other bikes, its absolutely beautiful to ride, racey and stiff ! Comfort is just slightly behind a C59, but in no way harsher , just fractional. I got a stock geo, but they do Custom sizes/bb/lay ups.

Grill

by Grill

Love my WyndyMilla Massive Attack. Full custom with the frames manufactured by Sarto.

RedRacer

by RedRacer

Any additional builders to add to the list? I need to get a build underway ASAP :)

motdoc

by motdoc

Nerve cycles in the UK. Lovely and proper weenie.

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

There are a bunch of high end frames that fit the ~390, 600+ spec
Parlee Z5
Pina Dogma & Rokh
Merckx Mourenx 69
Colnago CX-Zero
Canyon Endurace
Trek Emonda

If you're not 100% certain on your fit then this may not be the time to be getting a $$$$ custom frame.

savechief

by savechief

Parlee Z5, Large tall (603/391)
BMC granfondo, 58 (599/395)
Bianchi Infinito CV, 59 (598/391)
Time Fluidity, large (570 tt, 201 ht)
Trek Domane, 58 (611/380)
Merckx Mourenx69, XL (610/388)
Felt Z-Series, 58 (600/392)
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

jazgill

by jazgill

stang1 wrote:A Legend HT9.5 . Its an absolute banger of a bike! Compared to my other bikes, its absolutely beautiful to ride, racey and stiff ! Comfort is just slightly behind a C59, but in no way harsher , just fractional. I got a stock geo, but they do Custom sizes/bb/lay ups.

This is it. Marco's been making stunning custom carbon frames for donkey's years. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com