Lightning cranks loosning up

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JohanSten

by JohanSten

Hello

I brought a 110BCD Power2Max Lightning crank this summer. Recently I put on some spacers on the left and right crank arm to prevent play (witch I have had trouble with). Since then I have some problems... The crank arms slowly disassemble themselves. This happened just 7 min out on my ride to a race today. This happened yesterday aswell so I reinstalled them to insure that they would be perfect for today. But still they f*cked up.

Any tips on how to get this thing fixed? I really need my power meter to work!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JohanSten

by JohanSten

Oh, btw. I use a BB30 bottom bracket on a Merida Reacto 906

highdraw

by highdraw

Even if you don't speak German, the second video in this link should help even though applicable to a Rotor crank.
You will hear/see Loctite 243 reference...likely what you are forgetting. Can even use this Loctite on your chain ring bolts.
You need to torque the spider to spec for your Lightening crank or it will come loose. This issue is independent of your spacing issue
which you may or may not be getting right either.

http://www.power2max.com/northamerica/s ... rt-videos/

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I had mine loosening up and found I hadn't tightened them enough. Hasn't happened since. I used a large torque wrench w/ an extra long hex piece.
Speedplay is the devil!

Machinenoise

by Machinenoise

As mdeth1313 says torque it down properly, loctite certainly helps, the manual http://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/installation.pdf states 35-50nm, which is a lot to achieve with just a standard length allen key!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

Which part is loosening? The ring on the NDS? The joining bolt at that Hirth joint in the middle? The spider? Just Loctite it all

I had problems on my BB30 bike using the FSA BB386-BB30 adapter. The NDS lockring kept loosening. I Loctited it and haven't had had to only tweak it once since.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill