Another either or... Look 695 Aerolight or S-Works Venge?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bombertodd

by bombertodd

I would take the Look over the Specialized. I haven't ridden either though.... Not a fan of the Big S as a company.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm partial to Look as a brand.. at least it's the best color !..but I've been riding a LOOK 695 for awhile now.. so I'd probably just chose the SWorks to be different. Exactly I got a parlee not to long ago and I'm riding that now. 1st world problems
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

kgt

by kgt

keep the LOOK and don't look back.

OrPe

by OrPe

+1 (Look).

never rode a look frame that i did not like. been on a 381, 585, 595 and briefly on a 586. all were (are) fabulous rides.
if the 695 is anything like the 586... its one heck of a bike.

rode cervelo's (r2.5 ; R3; Soloist AL), old giant, parlee (Z4). look equals or supercedes all said IMHO.

Oren

otoman

by otoman

Just one more opinion, I have an S-works Venge and love it. It is an amazing bike. The handling is telepathic. It is comfortable for all day rides (6+ hrs). It is fast as hell -- OK that one is subjective but I just go faster on this bike. It scoots when you stomp on the gas; all of you who have ridden bikes that are noodles vs bikes that are very stiff will know that feeling of a stiff frame. So it really has none of the disadvantages of an aero frame yet seems to have the advantage of extra speed. That being said, I race and train a fair amount so need something I can abuse a little more than a frame with fancy-pants proprietary parts and brakes that take 10 minutes to set up after a wheel change. To OrPe's point, I definitely respect his opinion, just to say that my previous favorite handling bike was a 2008 Cervelo R3 (amazing bike but for the cracked BB) and the Venge exceeds it as well.

I have a Speed Concept TT bike and the front brake is a hassle to adjust. By the looks (haha) of it, the brake design seems similar. If though, you only ride with the same wheel set, it might not be an issue for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

dmoneysworks

by dmoneysworks

I'm with @dwaharvey on this one... I moved on from my s-works tarmac that i loved so much & after more than 6 years of brand loyalty, as I no longer liked how the big 's' were upholding themselves.

FWIW In hindsight I'm really happy I did. Good luck & keep us updated :thumbup:

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Had a Look bike until I sold it last week. While I agree they make excellent bikes, the proprietary stuff are just way too many (in that bike alone is the stem, crank, chainrings plus the ISP). If you have your fit dialed in wit the stock stuff then go for the Look.

Otherwise, I'd go for the Venge (and mind you I try not to support Specialized but they undeniably make excellent saddles).

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I have a hard time selecting (or not selecting) a bike based on politics. I can't see myself out on a 5 hour ride and thinking "wow, this bike really handles and rides excellent... but the way they did that one thing to that one guy is just too big of an obstacle"

Maybe that's just me. I spent a very happy 8 hours on my Venge this weekend :)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would consider another thing here. A few years ago 695 was compared to Foil and Look won hands down on comfort. If i am not wrong, Venge is stiff as hell and my guess is that Look is more comfortable!
I love Look (have never owned one), but i am also not all in for the integration to 100%. It is part of it's charm but perhaps also part of it's downside (you decide!).
I would guess if you simply figure what machine will be your best ride experience, you may come down to what you should own in the end?
What would make you feel you love your rides, that is the bike i would go for if i were you.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Appreciate all the advice guys! I'm currently waiting for some parts to finish building up the Look (handlebar, chainrings, and chain) as well as the Venge. I've also been waiting on wheels, and finally got those together today. Here are a few photos. Tune Mig70/Mag170 with Enve SES 3.4 clinchers and Michelin Pro4 Service course 25mm tires. Tires measure 27mm on the front and 26mm on the rear - expecting that the ride will be fantastic. My plan is to swap saddle/pedals/wheels back and forth between the bikes while I try to commit myself to one. One issue with the Venge and these wheels (and tires): the rear wheel can't be installed or removed with the tire inflated and the QR in place because the tire is hitting the frame behind the BB and the QR hitting the mounting bolt/knuckle for the RD! Wheel has fine clearance once it's on, but getting it on requires taking off the QR... good thing I'm not planning on racing and needing any lightning wheel changes. I also think I need new brakes for the Venge because the TRP R960SL don't have a lot of room to spare to the rims, and I worry that the braking power will be negatively affected (since leverage is lowest when they are wide open). Clearance with the front tire is also really tight whereas for the rear there's tons of room :noidea: That's one benefit to the Look: with the V brakes there's no issue at all for tire clearance, and no issue installing or removing the rear wheel.

Anyway, I'll post some more updates and opinions once I've had the chance to ride both.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I could not fit 25 in front on my 695 (non aerolight) Rims were the same Enve's 3.4 but the tires were GP4000s II's.. too tall, I mean they just fit but if I picked up road marbles they would scape the bottom of my forks.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I chose the Look 695 Aerolight (in black reflect colour way) earlier this year. I made the decision based on aesthetics and the fact that you don't see many if them around London (but lots in France!). I paired with Zipp FC and GP4000 25mm tyres.

I'm sad to say that I had no end of problems with it. All the new tech started to break - the stem dropped from +4 to -14deg on my second ride (on a fast downhill), the integrated front brake cable (within the fork) dropped and started rubbing on the tyre, the cranks started creaking after 100miles, the elastomer in the ISP broke and my saddle came off mid-ride....the list was endless. All bolts tightened to correct torque.

I sent it back for a refund after 4 rides and 300miles.

Very sad to say, as it's a sublime ride. But I would choose the SWorks. My pervious Spec (SL2) was excellent, I'm sure the latest iteration is only going to be better.
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

wingguy

by wingguy

greentimgreen wrote:I'm sad to say that I had no end of problems with it. All the new tech started to break - the stem dropped from +4 to -14deg on my second ride (on a fast downhill)

Yeah, any stem that has 21 parts, a 14nm torque setting, a specific assembly compound which is carbon paste mixed with glue (to hold the handlebar in place) and that has 'hit it with a hammer' in the manual as part of the adjustment process has clearly gone badly wrong in some phase of the design.

eigner

by eigner

wingguy wrote:
greentimgreen wrote:I'm sad to say that I had no end of problems with it. All the new tech started to break - the stem dropped from +4 to -14deg on my second ride (on a fast downhill)

Yeah, any stem that has 21 parts, a 14nm torque setting, a specific assembly compound which is carbon paste mixed with glue (to hold the handlebar in place) and that has 'hit it with a hammer' in the manual as part of the adjustment process has clearly gone badly wrong in some phase of the design.

LoL sounds just like when the french tries to produce cars... :thumbup:
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

bombertodd

by bombertodd

wingguy wrote:

I've built two of my friends 695's without any issues after thousands of miles.

Maybe there are issues because of over-torqued something since nothing calls for more than 10nm of torque.

Also note there is no mention of glue or even grease in the installation manual, just loctite for a few bolts.

I still have a manual and page 14 says,
"Attention!
Excessive tightening may lead to the
destruction of the fork pivot and can have
serious consequences!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com