Felt F1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stripes

by stripes

I know there's a lot of love for the AR series on WW but does anyone have experience with the F1 frameset? For what seems to be advertised as Felt's *flagship* race frame (not counting the F FRD), the price seems very attractive at $1650 considering it's carbon with internal routing, TeXtreme, etc.

I'd be interested in hearing about the comfort, build and ride quality compared to bikes such as the 2014 BMC SLR01, CAAD9/10, 2014 Cervelo R3 (this is probably in a different bike category). Also, I'm told by the LBS that the CAAD10 frameset is around $1000 so I'm curious as to how Felt is able to price this frameset so competitively.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

When the current frame platform was introduced Felt had a special DMC molded F1 frame. This was the benchmark at the time for STW.
The latest generation molding process and materials creates the F FRD. The newly re-introduced F1 frame in 2015 (and F1 PR) are different beasts than the original. Different molds (not shapes) different materials (UHC Advanced + TeXtreme) and a bit different STW.

You won't hear any accurate comments on the latest F1 build and ride quality because no one has one yet.
The new F1 is the same frame as the F2 and F3 and replaces the FC in the product range.

As the F-series current shape is going on its 4th year, much of the development costs are paid for and thus drop out of the price equation. The F1 is essentially the updated version of the frame that Argos introduced last year and a slight revision to the lay ups Hincapie have been racing on this year.

Regards,
SD
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote, this is a reply. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stripes

by stripes

Thanks for the reply, Dave! Looks like I'll need to find an F2 or F3 to test ride.

By the way, do you happen to have actual pictures of the F1 (built up or frameset)? From the picture on the website, it's hard to tell but it looks like the F1 frameset has difference paint/graphics than the F2.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2015/Bi ... et-f1.aspx

F2 appears to have the checkered pattern; is that the same for the F1?

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

F1 and F2 use the same carbon material for the outside layer. They'll both have the TeXtreme weave visible under the artwork.
I won't have the 2015 F1 aftermarket frameset photographed until the end of the month.

-SD
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote. this is a reply, you know? In a normal conversation, do you also repeat what the other person has said before you give your answer?

dreden513

by dreden513

Hey Super Dave,

Since the 2015 F1/2 frame are a new platform, how does it compare to the 2014 F2 frames? How does the weight and stiffness compare between the 2015 F1/2 and the 2014 F2? How does the ride compare? Thanks for your input on the forum!

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

That is a difficult question to quantify. The F2 used a carbon BB30 shell but Toray 1k weave so you'd end up with a slightly lighter yet slightly more fragile frame. The TeXtreme fabric from Oxeon really helps those "oh shit" moments with it's inherent added strength so some areas can use a lighter lay up. Rather than keep the weight reduction, we opted to use the alloy BB30 shell on the new F1 so popular Shimano adaptors like the threaded tubes from FSA or the Praxis expanding/collet reducers can be used.

The stiffness on the 2015 F1 and 2014 F2 and 2011 F5 are all about the same for a given size. I refer to it as "Degenkolb (54cm) Farrar (56cm) Kittel (58cm)" stiff or overkill when compared with crankset, pedal, wheel, bar, and stem stiffness (Nm/deg) and deflection.

We have greatly improved the stiffness to weight on the top F-series frame with the F FRD but this is often reported incorrectly as being "much stiffer" than previous designs when in fact it is not stiffer at all. The same can be said with the original supersix from cannondale and their updated supersixEVO. The STW went up but from our testing, the actual ultimate stiffness esp. BB and stay stiffness went down.

-SD
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the effin' quote.

Roundabout

by Roundabout

While not a 2015 F1, I did pick up an FC frame this spring in the awesome Kermit green colorway. I have some experience with the current AR, Cervelos, Lapierre, Boardman, BMC, Cannondale, etc. In the last 2 years (for freshness of memory's sake), the road frames I owned before this one were a Supersix Evo himod and BMC TMR01. Still have the BMC, and has been sitting unbuilt in my garage since getting the FC.

I would favor this over the Cervelo R series, quite favorably to the SLR01. CAAD 10 is the aluminum race frame in my mind, and the Felt F platform is the carbon race frame. A bit heavier than the Supersix, power transfer/stiffness feels on par in terms of efficiency but worlds better in terms of comfort/handling; evo would frequently skip the rear end due to ridiculous rear triangle stiffness and beat the hell out of me (6'2, 160) on bumpy conditions. FC is the smoothest race bike I've ridden, aero and nonaero. While the BMC may have been quantitatively faster due to aero gains, the FC is by far the best bike I have ever ridden from a qualitative perspective, and thus the fastest bike for me. Handling is like the dial was kicked up to 11; never have I been able to descend or take technical corners with as much speed. The front and rear end stiffness excellently compliments the geometry. Comfort pays off on hours 2+ of an arduous road race, as I've got more in the tank when it's time to really rip.

Despite the fact that I spend my days working with quantitative methods and do mostly long road races, I choose the FC every time - the added comfort, awesome ride feel, and especially the amazing handling allows me to go harder and faster where it counts, and enjoy riding that much more. Simply put, I've never enjoyed riding a race bike as much as the Felt. I feel fast on it, and had my best results this season on it. Despite how much I love the color (and the rest of it), I would love to add a textreme version to the stable one of these days. The geometry is as dialed as it comes for a frame that wants to be pushed and ridden hard, so if your fit works with the frame and you appreciate

Roundabout

by Roundabout

Though on the other hand, given how amazing the FC green is, I should probably just hoard 3-4 spare framesets in the case of future crashes so I have replacements for the rest of time. SD, my understanding is that you also have/had one of these green frames?

spartan

by spartan

curious the weight diff between the awesome green vs the matt black. did you weight frame/fork?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Roundabout

by Roundabout

I did not. I weighed the frame at the time with all the hardware, but can't remember exactly what it was (don't want to make anything up) beyond the fact that it was significantly lighter than the BMC (duh) and at least 100g above the evo (which was 969 in the 60cm). My FC is a 58cm.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Roundabout wrote:Though on the other hand, given how amazing the FC green is, I should probably just hoard 3-4 spare framesets in the case of future crashes so I have replacements for the rest of time. SD, my understanding is that you also have/had one of these green frames?

I don't personally own one but a few of my teammates did. I raced on an AR1 last year and just returned from our frame factory with a new project waiting for me to complete for next season. No photos yet I'm afraid.

-SD

roygbiv177

by roygbiv177

SuperDave wrote:Rather than keep the weight reduction, we opted to use the alloy BB30 shell on the new F1 so popular Shimano adaptors like the threaded tubes from FSA or the Praxis expanding/collet reducers can be used.

@SuperDave

I want to run Shimano 9000 or 6800 cranks on a 2015 F1 frame (has alloy PF30 shell for 2015). The PARLEE PF30 TO SHIMANO CUPS look good. They are simply 2437 bearings in a nice deep press-in sleeve. And since this is WW it looks like the Parlee cups are lighter than Praxis. Or, third option is a PF bottom bracket w/ spindle reducers like on Felt's Shimano builds. Lots of general debate on this but got any Felt-specific advice for a light and reliable setup?

-NewbieRoy

gospastic

by gospastic

My teammate got one of the new F1s and weighed it. He rides a 58.

frame: 1133g, including BB30 bearings, seatpost clamp and the tubing that came in it
fork: 338g uncut

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

That seems a bit heavier than I expected.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

roygbiv177 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:Rather than keep the weight reduction, we opted to use the alloy BB30 shell on the new F1 so popular Shimano adaptors like the threaded tubes from FSA or the Praxis expanding/collet reducers can be used.

@SuperDave

I want to run Shimano 9000 or 6800 cranks on a 2015 F1 frame (has alloy PF30 shell for 2015). The PARLEE PF30 TO SHIMANO CUPS look good. They are simply 2437 bearings in a nice deep press-in sleeve. And since this is WW it looks like the Parlee cups are lighter than Praxis. Or, third option is a PF bottom bracket w/ spindle reducers like on Felt's Shimano builds. Lots of general debate on this but got any Felt-specific advice for a light and reliable setup?

-NewbieRoy

PF30 is not the same as BB30. PF30 (46mm I.D.) adapters will not fit in Felt's BB30 (42mm I.D.) frame. The lightest set up is the Wheels nylon reducers with hybrid bearings.

-SD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com