Campagnolo EPS 53/34 possible from compact?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

random101

by random101

Okay so bit of a silly question here, but why not.

So I have a compact set up on my campy compact EPS super record cranks (PF30). And I have decided that compact is useless for my needs (Sprinter + Little hills...).

But, I do like to venture into the hills were a 25/28-34 could really help me get along a 25/8-36 wouldn't be so bad also.

Anyhow I was wondering what the success rate of running a 53/34 was? or should I just replace both chain rings and go with a 53/36.

Also the chainrings I'm switching to are http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-110-pcd-neri ... chainring/

Do I need new bolts? or should they be fine? Any issues I should look out for?

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

russianbear

by russianbear

The front derailleur has a limit of 16 teeth difference. 53-34=19

random101

by random101

oh, that means I need to go 38 :(

Has anyone tried 36/34 with a 53?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I think shifting will suffer but you can TRY. Worst thing is you would have to buy another inner ring. I don't know how these TA rings would perform with Campy EPS. Shimano Di2 needs stiff rings, and I think these aren't.

Suggestion: instead of a 53, buy a 52 and a 36 (mid-compact). I think you can find Campy originals rings

random101

by random101

AndreLM wrote:I think shifting will suffer but you can TRY. Worst thing is you would have to buy another inner ring. I don't know how these TA rings would perform with Campy EPS. Shimano Di2 needs stiff rings, and I think these aren't.

Suggestion: instead of a 53, buy a 52 and a 36 (mid-compact). I think you can find Campy originals rings

I did see that in their 2013 range.

My question is because I'm running compact do campy make interchangeable rings BCD sizes? Might consider a 52/36

I haven''t read any bad reviews on the rings thus far but we'll see

random101

by random101

This is completely doing my head in... trying to find which brand (also looked at the 3rd party thread) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=96114&start=15

But can't seem to come up with a decent answer Don't know whether to go; Stronglight or Miche or TA. (Which ever is the stiffest?)

http://www.xxcycle.com/miche-chainring- ... lo,,en.php

Seem to have both Strong and Miche at a decent price just need to be sure which model and bolts to get before I make the order (let alone which size :P) most likely 53/38

Edit... Is there a way at looking at the crank to see if it's PCD is 110 or 135mm?

as now i'm doubly confused as to which to get

I have the little label that has
L - 172.5mm
OB 111040
SN 0577

ferrarista

by ferrarista

If you have the compact crankset the bcd is 110mm and 112mm for the bolt behind the crank arm. You can fit 52-36 chainrings from campy. The new chainrings are designed specifically for EPS.
I would not go with miche, TA or stronglight as they are not approved to work with EPS. The front derailleur is very strong and can change with a force up to 52nm. You could have gear change problems with softer chainrings. Dropped chains, etc... I think the only company that makes chainrings compatible with Di2 and EPS is praxis, but they don't make 53 in compact version.

If you want to have a 53 for big chainring i'm afraid you will have to go with a regular 135mm bcd crank and run 53-39. you could run a 12-29 in the back to compensate or go with 52-36 with either 12-27 or 11-27 cassette. 52-11 is longer than 53-12

Another thing to think about is you risk to void your warranty if you use components not approved by Campagnolo. So if you have a problem with your shifting Campy can deny warranty if you are using non approved chainrings. Campy says they only warranty with a complete groupset and approved components. With how much EPS components costs I don't know if i would risk it.
██

russianbear

by russianbear

A new chain and cassette is probably cheaper than new campy rings.

random101

by random101

russianbear wrote:A new chain and cassette is probably cheaper than new campy rings.

No offence but how is that going to help?

I have a 11-28, 11-25, 12-25x2.

Still need that big ring to make the most of my sprints/descents. Especially as crit season is coming up.

russianbear

by russianbear

Just echoing what ferrarista was saying. If you really need the low range though I guess a 29 is the biggest you can fit back there.

A 52/36 is your best bet.

random101

by random101

yeah, now it's just a matter of finding a place I can order it from?

But considering I also run Sram cassettes, I'm not to fussed if I run an after-market set up... so long as it works (waiting for someone with previous experience to chime in here) :)

random101

by random101

If anyone knows the part number for the52/36 that would be great.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

random101 wrote:If anyone knows the part number for the52/36 that would be great.

cam-FC-SR252 and cam-FC-SR036
██

06SpiceRed

by 06SpiceRed

Not that this is directly related to Campy, but more or less being related to electronic shifting. Being a Di2 user and having experimented with certain chainring combos for different applications, I can tell you that running a 52-34 combo DOES work. Sure its not as smoothe as a 50-34, or a 53-39 but it is not nearly as bad as one could imagine. I think it took maybe *a fraction of a second longer to hook up. Other than it was smooth shifting both up and down. I was using shimano rings and they are relatively stiff, but the worse that could happen should you give it a shot, is that it doesnt work well enough to your liking.
A bunch of carbon, with a bunch of electronic parts

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

52-36 is the way forwards, original Campag rings, it's within the system parameters and it will work.

If you really, really need it you could go with an 11-up cassette if you feel the 52 isn't going to give you a big enough gear. Probably not required though - 52-11 is a pretty big gear. 120 rpm on a 52-11 is equivalent to 70+ kmh so OK for descents, more than enough for any amateur finale ... we don't run anything bigger on the pro team bikes other than for TTs, by and large.

You can try 52-34 but even with the Campag rings, you will find shifting is less predictable and you will see odd cases of chain drop in all likelihood. I know because we have tried it.

If you are racing & using the maxim "In order to finish 1st, you 1st have to finish", if it were me advising you with my team mechanic's hat on, I'd say go for 52-36 ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com