Issue with breaking sram red rd return springs....

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

sram jokes aside please.... so weirdly enough.... i've broken 3 RDs in this manner. The LBS has told me im the only case of this they've ever seen, which has led me to believe that either im special... or something about my setup is eating up RDs.

medium cage 10speed black edition
medium cage new style 10speed
medium cage new style 10 speed
* never used bigger than 28t on them
* all on same bike frame style, size and model, 50cm caad10
* all have broken after a period of time greater than 8000 miles or 12000kms.
* i ride in rain, snow, heat, whatever
* i dont do any maintenance to the RD itself, other than swapping out cables and housings. IE i dont grease it or wd40 or whatever

so what's up? why am i blowing these things up? is it improper adjustment of cable tension? (which i would think would propagate much earlier in the timeline)

this return spring is Titanium and not serviceable so that is an inconvenience while being out riding and stuck in a fixed gear and the down time of the bike obviously, but sram has warrantied it 3 times. It is now upon the 4th time, that they are requesting a receipt , which the first black edition was bought off a friend so there isn't one. I am fine with buying a new RD from a shop/online/whatever. It's not the money... i just dont wanna keep blowing these things up if i dont have to. Should i buy a force over sram red?

** and bonus question. Now that my old red RD is pretty much a paper weight, can i swap the swing arm to a force RD, so use whatever 'ceramic' pulley things that sram red alleges to have. or at least have a backup swing arm...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chello

by Chello

Do you clean the drivetrain? Especially after riding in foul weather.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

other than washing the bike , no
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote

mca56

by mca56

I just broke my original version Red return spring last week. Luckily it happened on the workstand. Had to order a new derailleur as it appears this is not a serviceable part. Somewhat disappointing but it did last about 6 years.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I broke one on an original Red RD.

Shame it's not a replaceable part. That works out to a $350 spring. Fortunately SRAM seems to be replacing RD's no questions asked. Something like that should not fail during any reasonable period of use. There are lots of ancient derailleurs going strong.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.