Help identifying Shimano PRO bar/stem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stripes

by stripes

Does anyone know what bar and stem are on Froome's F8?

Stem with the PRO on the side:
http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/new ... 700-80.jpg

Bars:
http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2014/07/41.jpg

Thanks!

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

Handlebar it's the Pro Vibe S carbon i think. It has exectly the same shape with the cables going inside the bars and they are custom painted for SKY.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

All I know is that all the PRO branded team sky stems are all custom in 1mm increments. You'll find a mixture of 129mm, 131mm, 123mm etc. Watch the GCN YouTube of the team sky tour bus. Chris' would be custom length. Prob why he can't stop staring at it. The bars I'm not sure. Pro vibe?

sanrensho

by sanrensho

harmonix1234 wrote:Chris' would be custom length. Prob why he can't stop staring at it.

That is the funniest thing I've read in weeks. :beerchug:

Donkey

by Donkey

Strange they go for mm measurements given the dimensions could easily be offset by clothing, shoes, gloves (apparel), physiological conditions (nutrition, hydration) or indeed the environment.
In my estimation the error is around 5m before you start feeling the offset or discomfort in the fit.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Donkey wrote:Strange they go for mm measurements given the dimensions could easily be offset by clothing, shoes, gloves (apparel), physiological conditions (nutrition, hydration) or indeed the environment.
In my estimation the error is around 5m before you start feeling the offset or discomfort in the fit.
Originally frames were made to measure so stem lengths could cary by 10 or even 15mm. Now with many frames being monocoque the stem has to vary by smaller increments. As for 5mm variations being the minimum before one notices, try riding 30000km a year for a living before assuming that.

Donkey

by Donkey

ultimobici wrote:Originally frames were made to measure so stem lengths could cary by 10 or even 15mm. Now with many frames being monocoque the stem has to vary by smaller increments. As for 5mm variations being the minimum before one notices, try riding 30000km a year for a living before assuming that.

Nothing to do with monocoque frames. It doesn't matter. There's more variation in same frame sizes between two diffrerent brands than even some arbitrary 5mm variation in say a stem.

I am referring to that earlier comment of 1mm variation in Pro stems. I say completely unnecessary.

dogg

by dogg

id say when you're a pro, who as mentioned, often rides 30000ks a year, 1 or 2 mm could make a fair difference. i know my saddle height changing by just 2mm will mess my knees. can't see how a stem would be any different.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Are they truly made in 1mm increments or are they simply the result of forging variations? Forged stems are not 100% assured of being of the stated length, unlike CNC'd stems that can be repeatably made to an exact length. I am not an engineer so I can't give you the engineering explanation, but I have heard it mentioned many times.

Ritchey stems are known to be forged with a margin of plus or minus 3-4mm. I have a fair number of 4Axis stems in 120mm and 110mm, and of the four I have of each length, none of them are all the same length. They are not different my more than 1-2mm but they are different, as I have measured.

AGW

by AGW

I saw the same youtube video as harmonix and there is indeed a drawer FULL of stems factory-labeled in mm increments. Aside from the ones he calls out, I can make out 104mm, 111mm, 121, 122mm, and 125mm.

Whether or not the difference is perceptible, SKY has it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x87vzazC1oM&t=1m24s

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

Yep, that's the one ^^^
I too can tell the difference of as little as 2mm seat height or cleat adjustment, and also in stack height. If I change stem to 10mm difference it throws my whole fit out of whack. Same goes for 1 or 2° in saddle tilt, or roll of the bars and I'm just a fat commuter. Sure the difference between 110mm and 111mm might not be noticeable, but the difference between 110mm to 113mm, or 112mm to 117mm would easily be noticed I reckon.

mrfish

by mrfish

Are you sure about the stems being custom made?

My guess would be that the stems are labelled with stack and reach. So a 120mm stem might measure 104mm reach etc. This would make it easier to setup bikes with the best combination of stem, bars, frame etc.

Danza

by Danza

They probably get a bunch of stock length stems but measure them and note their true length so its repeatable despite manufacturing variances.

stripes

by stripes

Thanks all!

Bummer, I was hoping to get my hands on one of those stems!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Danza wrote:They probably get a bunch of stock length stems but measure them and note their true length so its repeatable despite manufacturing variances.

Yep, I think you're right. I can't see Shimano/Pro doing custom forgings in these small increments for such small runs. Even if it is for the mighty Team Sky!