di2 sprint shifter alternative

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

grouk

by grouk

hello

this is my first post i am from portugal, my english isn't so good so sorry for anything
i follow you guys a long time but now i need some help, im gonna start build my new bike, i received yesterday my shimano 6870 group, my intention is to mount some sprinter shifters but i dont like the shimano shifters, i whant some like cateye but i havê some doubts about the wiring
will be the shifters a normal on/off button?
if i get a similar conector plug two wires in a normal switch and plug in the lever in the sprinter shifter place it will work?

tanks in advance

aaric

by aaric

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127059

The shimano sprint shifters are just a momentary switch. Closed when pressed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grouk

by grouk

thanks is exactly that i want to do, now i have to buy a cable and cut it in half or get that type of conector

rmerka

by rmerka

To do that you're likely going to have to cut a wire off an existing sprinter switch. The connector for those is unique to the sprinter switch (SW-R610) and is proprietary to Shimano. It has a little tab on it that only fits into the special sprinter switch plug socket on 9070 and 6870 shifters. Good luck!

grouk

by grouk

i have the shifters here and i can conect every wire in every socket in the shifters

rmerka

by rmerka

Curious, which ones do you have? The reason I ask is if you have the climbing switch (SW-R600) the cateye buttons won't work because there is controller chip in that switch.

Sprinters SW-R610 (note the tab on the connector)

or Climbing SW-R600

grouk

by grouk

i though the sprinter button don't have plc ( controllerboard) only a normal switch

rmerka

by rmerka

The SW-R610, the first picture above has no controllerboard. The SW-R600, the bottom picture with two buttons, has a controllerboard in it which is why it's so big.

grouk

by grouk

Ahhhh ok what I want is the first one.do you confirm that it is a regular button on/off?

rmerka

by rmerka

That's my understanding that the SW-R610's are just simple switches and that they use the electronics in the shifters to do their work which why they have the special port on the switch.

aaric

by aaric

SW-R610's are just a momentary switch. I cut the wires on mine, and added a pair of cateye switches for the tops, and they work great. I also confirmed that shorting the two wires together while plugged into the sprint shifter port on the shifters causes shifts as part of the process.

You should be able to cut an etube wiring harness and plug them into the sprint shifter spot on the 6870/9070 shifters. It'd be pretty simple to test with a cut etube wire and stripped inner wires.

glepore

by glepore

Yeah, I think the tab is just to prevent you from plugging the switch into a port that doesn't have the support electronics.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

grouk

by grouk

glepore wrote:Yeah, I think the tab is just to prevent you from plugging the switch into a port that doesn't have the support electronics.

yes, i tink so, i will buy 1 cable cut half and conect two cateye button in paralell one in sprinter position and other in the climb position in each side of the handlebar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grouk

by grouk

for those who said it was not possible

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27p15 ... 1850_sport
just had to buy a cable cut it in half add switchs and configure software and its done