Short reach compact bars.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

Having had my frameset for almost a decade, the reach to the hoods of modern groupsets has increased.

Along with that, a bike fit moved me further back behind the BB compared with the original specs, I'm too stretched out on the hoods (using an FSA compact which I switched to). Switching from a 100mm stem to a 90 mm stem is too much and brings the tops too close to me so I wondered if anything like the Ritchey bars might bring the hoods maybe 5mm or so closer.

harmonix1234

by harmonix1234

Specialized compact have 75mm reach and shallow drop, and I think FSA do a 75mm reach bar but that might be what you have by the sounds of it. If so, you need an 80mm reach and ritchey do one. 3t also do an 80mm reach compact shallow bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jo.k

by jo.k

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

It's unfortunate that you can't just compare claimed reach on different bars. There is no standardized way of measuring reach and we've found that some companies measure center to center, some center to front and others in still different ways, this means that the same bar measured in each way could vary by as much as 2cm.

We've measured several bars using the center to front measurement and put the results here: http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... ar-review/ but unless you measure your current bars using the same method you won't have a fair comparison.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If it helps the OP, I am guessing that the middle drawing in the picture above is the FSA Compact shape, which has gained a lot of favour over recent years.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I used to have the FSA compact shape, switched to the Zipp Contour SS which is pretty much the same shape. Fits really well, oh and about 190gms

nickl

by nickl

I have http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-d ... -geometry/ bookmarked. It's from 2009, but has some useful information.

The 3T Ergonova series has a 77 mm reach. I'm pretty happy with mine.

Competitive Cyclist quotes reach on most of the bars they stock.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The Deda RHM bars are also quite short.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Enve compact 79reach 127 drop
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

BRM

by BRM

airwise wrote:Having had my frameset for almost a decade, the reach to the hoods of modern groupsets has increased.

Along with that, a bike fit moved me further back behind the BB compared with the original specs, I'm too stretched out on the hoods (using an FSA compact which I switched to). Switching from a 100mm stem to a 90 mm stem is too much and brings the tops too close to me so I wondered if anything like the Ritchey bars might bring the hoods maybe 5mm or so closer.

When using a stem of 100, you sit too stretched and with 90 mm too close to the bar?

Sorry?
Your bikefit has told you a measurement and when you go out from that:

With 5 mm extra (current situation) is too stretched.
0 point (the measurement of bikefitter)
With 5 mm shorter you suddenly sit much too close to the bars.

How correct is the bikefitting, Pretty sure another fitter will come with different outcomes.
You really experience a too stretched feeling and a too close feeling?
You really think that 5 mm wil make a world of difference here?

Proberbly you are looking too much to the figures the bikefitter gave you.
Nitpicking because the figures says so.

Put thicker tape on the bar and you overcome half the problem already . . . . lol
Set a focus on a bar that suits you the most, is more important than that 5 mm on paper.

gravity

by gravity

BRM wrote:When using a stem of 100, you sit too stretched and with 90 mm too close to the bar?

Sorry?
Your bikefit has told you a measurement and when you go out from that:

I think the OP meant that the distance from saddle nose to top of the bar is fine, but since the shape of modern hood now have longer reach as compared to their predecessors, using the same handlebar will stretch himself a little further when he rides on the hood, but still remain the same reach when riding on top of the bar.

airwise

by airwise

That's right Gravity. I have a number of bikes with a tt of 545/547mm which is fine. I also have a C59 which I love but this comes in at 551 accounting for the slightly steeper seat angle. So it's 5mm longer to the bars. I actually quite like the extra to the tops when climbing in the mountains so would prefer to avoid going to a 95mm stem like a Tune.

As has been pointed out it's a shame there is no standardized measurement allowing us to compare bars easily.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

dereksmalls wrote:I used to have the FSA compact shape, switched to the Zipp Contour SS which is pretty much the same shape. Fits really well, oh and about 190gms

Do the zipps also have the narrower hoods vs the c-c listing like the fsa? Really like the fsa shape.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Deda RHM for me nice and short

shimmeD

by shimmeD

OP hasn't mentioned width or material (carbon vs alloy).
My experience is all alloy - Ritchey & Pro: 40cm ctc, and Bontrager VRS 36cm.
Ritchey has longer reach, where as Pro & Bonty are 5-10mm shorter.

My favourite is the VRS - 245g $65 bang for buck.
Not many 36s around at all.
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com