Trek Emonda SLR custom build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

lilearl75

by lilearl75

I ordered a Emonda SLR frame. Looking to build it up as light as I can afford. I'll probably have about $4000-$5000 budget for all the rest of the parts. Here is some of the things I was think so far.

Wheels: American classic road tubeless
Tire: Atom Galactik
Group: Sram red with bontrager direct mount brakes
Pedals Speedplay titanium (already have)
Stem: Extralite
Handlebar bontrager xxx

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

erikw1968

by erikw1968

I have seen the frame, is great!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

What's the frame weigh?

Parts selection looks good to me. Also think about cables. Bontrager brakes don't have good reputation. EE direct mount brakes would be better, but $$.

highdraw

by highdraw

OP, did you spend retail aka $4200 for the Emonda SLR frameset?...or did your local bike shop deal a bit?

njee20

by njee20

Surely it's gotta be some Chinese carbon wheels - c950g if you go tub, or c1150g clinchers.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I would see if you can swing the DA direct mount brakes as apparently the bontys are pretty bad. Its possible they have made them better but all of the sponsored guys I knew that got the bontrager brakes on their '14 bikes hated them.

lilearl75

by lilearl75

The frame has been ordered won't be here till November. I will weigh the frame, brakes seatmast all the goodies before i build it. I work at a shop so of course I got a good deal! :beerchug: The bontrager brakes are coming with it and I've read good reviews about these new ones, not sure how some of the older ones fared. I did consider some ee but dayum they are high!

lilearl75

by lilearl75

520 Dan wrote:I would see if you can swing the DA direct mount brakes as apparently the bontys are pretty bad. Its possible they have made them better but all of the sponsored guys I knew that got the bontrager brakes on their '14 bikes hated them.

I had a madone last year. The bontrager madone brakes were terrible.

highdraw

by highdraw

lilearl75 wrote:The frame has been ordered won't be here till November. I will weigh the frame, brakes seatmast all the goodies before i build it. I work at a shop so of course I got a good deal! :beerchug: The bontrager brakes are coming with it and I've read good reviews about these new ones, not sure how some of the older ones fared. I did consider some ee but dayum they are high!

In bold above, in that case can you order two and I will split the saving with you? ;)

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The Emonda SLR doesn't use the same brakes as the Madone. He's going with the Speed Shop brakes, which come on the bike. I haven't heard any bad reviews on those brakes (yet). I'd love to get his impression.

And yes, the Bontrager brakes on the Madone aren't very good. This is the main reason why I don't want to switch to the new Red Di2, since it means going back to the Bontrager brakes over my DA9000 brakes.

Chader09

by Chader09

Info about questions in several posts:

Frame Weight: 690g for a 56cm frame including the integrated seat mast (but not the mast cap). I'm not sure about other particulars (hanger, chain catcher, etc.) but I expect much of that is left off. And they weight is almost surely with the Vapor Coat paint.

Brakes: As mentioned, these are totally new brakes (not the old ones on the Madone) and they appear to be greatly improved based on early reviews. I seem to remember reading somewhere that EE may have even worked with Trek to design them, but I don't remember the source so I don't know if it was legit.

I have an 56cm SLR8 complete that is slated for delivery 9/29/2014. I will post up pics and weights when is arrives.

lilearl75

by lilearl75

highdraw wrote:OP, did you spend retail aka $4200 for the Emonda SLR frameset?...or did your local bike shop deal a bit?

PM me I'll sell you one less than $4200 :thumbup:

eric

by eric

The SpeedStop brakes are broadly similar to EEs in design. But they are larger and the spring is in a different place. They also have a different QR and adjuster than EEs.

One of the guys I ride with is a Trek dealer and his new ride is an SLR.

lilearl75

by lilearl75

Ordered my AC tubeless wheels and Hutchinson tires yesterday. I should have them in a couple weeks and I'll weigh them and post some pics. Gonna order my Sram Red group Monday. I crunch some numbers based on the SLR 10 claimed weights. Looks like bike would be somewhere around 12 lbs with pedals! Anyone know how much sealant would weigh for each tire. I plan to use Stans.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

watch this vid. 2.36 time frame . they compare 58cm emonda slr with pedal against tarmac/cervelo rca. slr is th real deal...

http://pelotonmagazine.com/video/trek-e ... hit-video/
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7