Setting fork crown race

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frankie13

by Frankie13

I just noticed the white tape on the fork crone and was wondering if I should remove or leave the tape before installing the crown race?
For sure it looks like somebody did a precise job placing the tape on this spot of the fork!

Leave or remove it?

Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

You know, I don't think it matters that that tape is there.

I've known carbon crown races that have been cut, and I've known ones that are painted and have so obviously not been cut.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

For the life of me I can see no reason for that tape. I would remove it before you install the baseplate for the crown race.
I should add that the reason I would remove it is because you want the base plate of the headset to be set against a solid perfectly faced surface. That will not be the case if there is soft tape or paint that it sits on. At least remove the tape.
Last edited by Calnago on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Leave it. If it was suppose to be removed, they would for certain label it that it must be removed before race installation.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@butcher, just curious what you think might be the possible reason for the tape in the first place? I can think of none, but I can certainly think of reasons (in my previous post) why it shouldn't be there.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Frankie13

by Frankie13

One of the reason I would think it shouldn't be there is that I saw mechanics facing the fork crown for a perfect surface before installing the race. With the tape I think you run a chance to create a un-even surface.
I did text my friend which is a wilier dealer and the frame came from to hear his opinion.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Frankie13... Exactly

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Don't know. Long shot? Maybe that is where the seal sits.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Talked to my friend and he told me to remove it. It looks like it was used to mask the crown before painting the fork. U can see a clear paint line and where the tape is / was it's only a fine layer of primer.
I will remove the tape tomorrow before installing the crown race.
Thanks to all for advise and helping out!

Cheers

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Late to this thread, but it's surprising how much downforce can be directed onto the lower crown race. It needs an absolutely solid support surface.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

UpFromOne wrote:Late to this thread, but it's surprising how much downforce can be directed onto the lower crown race. It needs an absolutely solid support surface.

I guess you are saying solid as removing the masking tape as well.
It would be the first time I ever saw the install with tape on the crown. I stick with the most common method which is race directly on the fork crown. I probably over thinking the tape deal anyway!

highpowernut

by highpowernut

Would seem like a leftover from paint.
Using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would have initially said it was just there to prevent paint from getting on the (presumably faced) crown. But from the pics it looks like the tape is placed over top of the paint. Either way, get rid of the tape as a mimimum. So long as the paint underneath is maybe just a thin primer and not thick, the base plate of headset on the crown race should still fit as it should. If the paint is really thick, I'd consider giving it a light facing to remove it, but probably unnecessary.

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Crown race installed. It was only a masking tape. The fork had only a light primer layer where the race sits. It never does hurt to ask questions and be better safe then sorry.
Fork and frame are nicely married.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

What frame/fork is this anyway? The thing you put on modern carbon forks isn't a crown race these days anyway, just a collet. Perhaps the maker of these forks has kind of worked out that it doesn't much matter if there is paint and even masking tape on the top of forks.

Having a taper at the bottom of the steerer must make cutting the crown difficult anyway. But I guess the larger manufacturers might do this with a machine rather than hand tool.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com