Sram 11-speed cassete on Fulcrum zero 2012

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ivonenand

by ivonenand

Hi guys,
I've just started putting together an Addict 2011 with Fulcrum Racing Zero 2012 wheels and the new Sram Force 22 groupset 2014. Back in the 2011 when I got the Fulcrum Zero wheels, they were specified for Shimano 9/10s cassetes. Today I put on the Sram 11s cassette and the freewheel body seems too short. The 11 tooth sprocket does not grab to the freewheel and it spins freely. I do remember Shimano changing the design of the hubs from 10s to 11s, so I've checked the FAQs on the fulcrum website and they say this:

Can Fulcrum wheels with freewheel body at 9/10 speeds also be used an 11-speed groupset?
Yes, they can be used without any problem. The Fulcrum freewheel body has not been modified and is compatible with 9/10/11 speeds.

So they claim that my freewheel is compatible with the 11s, but when I put it all together, it simply doesn't work. I could buy a new freewheel, but as Fulcrum says, the 10s freewheel is the same as the 11s freewheel. So, what am I getting wrong here?

Much appreciate any help,
Ivo Nenand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

highdraw

by highdraw

Can't speak to what you posted for FAQ's, but a 11s freehub can be retrofitted to your 2012 Fulcrum 0's...but you need a new freehub. Don't see how the 9/10 freehub could possibly work. You can contact Fulcrum's customer service for the proper freehub part number for 11s. Its also out on the web if you dig around. Same applies to all Fulcrum road wheels but they don't use the same 11s freehub because some are cartridge bearings and others are ball and cone like your 0's.

maggierose
Shop Owner

by maggierose

Ivo,

The info on the Fulcrum web-site holds true for Campagnolo splines NOT ShimaNO. You will need a new free-hub body for 11 speed.

highdraw

by highdraw

Good catch Maggie...FAQ was likely related to Campy specific cassettes/freehubs and not Shimano.

ivonenand

by ivonenand

Hi, thanks for the input; I'll take a look at buying a new freewheel, if it's compatible with my 2012 fulcrum model.

One more thing I started strugling with. The Force 22 GXP crankset. I cannot get it to fit to my Addict's BB86. If I install it, there's about 1mm space left on the non-drive side, if I tighten the bolt to the specified 50 Nm torque. What bothers me is that in the box there was no wavy washer and no preload ring, which are drawn in the instruction manual. So, should there be a wavy washer and/or a preload ring with the Force 22 GXP crankset?

Sorry for my ignorance guys, but I've been out of cycling for about two years now and It's also my first time working with Sram.

Thanks again and best regards,
Ivo Nenand

martinko

by martinko

And what about using Campagnolo cassette? Probably with Campagnolo chain. It should work and you save yourself from hassle of changing freehub. I haven't tried it myself, so opinions from someone experienced with that would come handy.
Sent from my Windows Phone using Tapatalk

stormur

by stormur

ivonenand wrote: So, should there be a wavy washer and/or a preload ring with the Force 22 GXP crankset?

Ivo Nenand

No and yes . NO: they won't come with crank, and YES : they has to come with bottom bracket ( f.e. Sram Truvativ BB86:GXP BB )

Lack of it is the reason of "1mm space".

Fulcrum :

I can be wrong / write from memory / , but Fulcrum since the beginning made all their freehubs ( Shimano ) 11spd compatible. In service documents there's no difference in spare part between 2010 and 2014 freehub… As I remember last(11 f.e.) cog is "loose" and is kept on place only because it's "locked" rotational on previous cog and screwed in by lockring - agree, it's weird design but worked for me in Fulcrum 3,5, 3.5 , and Campy Zonda as well… Basically it looks like smallest cog is hold on place being just tiny bit on freehub, partially held by 2nd smallest cog and lockring- being NOT entirely on freehub.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

martinko

by martinko

But new models, advertised as 11 speed compatible, come with extra spacer for 10 speed cassette.

ivonenand

by ivonenand

Tranks stormur for the input on the crankset; the wavy washer comes with the Pressfit GXP bottom bracket, so I'll be purchasing it to replace the existing shimano BB86 bearing in the frame. You are a bit wrong regarding the fulcrum freewheel though. The part number that I need is the RS-113, which is the Shimano 11s freehub for fulcrum wheels with 17mm axles. It replaces the RS-013 (which I have now), which is only Shimano 10s compatible. Martinko is right here, the RS-113 comes with a spacer which is to be used with Shimano 10s cassettes.

Well, there's 100€ and a week extra that I didn't foresee. Oh well, not the first time.

Thanks again for the input guys!
Ivo

stormur

by stormur

That's why I wrote "I can be wrong-writing from memory"… :(
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

It sounds like you thought the Shimano BB86 bottom bracket bearings were meant to be compatible with a GXP crankset. They are not. When you order the GXP BB86 bottom bracket you'll notice the non-drive side bearing has a smaller inner diameter than the Shimano BB86 bearings in your frame. You'll have to swap them, probably a job for a shop with the right tools.