Which 2015 Tarmac to buy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GoRide

by GoRide

I test rode a 2013 Tarmac Expert SL4 the other day and now I'm planning to pick up a new 2015 Tarmac, but now I'm deciding between the Comp or Expert (the Expert will cost me an extra $700). They both come with Ultegra and the Fulcrum S4, and based on the reviews I've read the "Rider-First Engineered" doesn't offer much over the SL4. So my question is, is the Expert worth the extra $700? ..or should I save that money and upgrade the wheelset?

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... mac-expert

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... comp#specs

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I would go for Expert to be honest.

Okay $700 is not nothing, but while you are paying that much, why get the old one?

Doolop

by Doolop

Totally agree, go for the expert. The higher end carbon frame will ride better, be lighter, etc.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I'm confused - are you getting a SL4 or "new" tarmac. The 2015 comp is essentially a SL4 mold. The expert is a "new" tarmac mold PLUS higher grade carbon.

I would go for the expert or just look for an older tarmac SL4 pro on closeout.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donkey

by Donkey

I dislike the integrated seat assembly in the new frame.
C'dale started it with the Synapse model and now these lot are doing it in the Tarmac.

highdraw

by highdraw

Donkey wrote:I dislike the integrated seat assembly in the new frame.
C'dale started it with the Synapse model and now these lot are doing it in the Tarmac.

Agree.
Any aero or aesthetic benefit is thwarted by a less than robust mechanism.
Honestly the seat post and even seat post diameter like the Synapse with 25.4mm post diameter and virtually no good aftermarket post adaptability are good reasons to avoid either frame.
The new Tarmac is a great bike but so was the SL4 and I personally would prefer the SL4 with conventional post clamp.

CBJ

by CBJ

I sold my 2013 S-works Tarmac complete on Ebay and did not get much. There are some good used deals out there. Just saying. Before that I bought a used 2006 bike which was in great shape and got a good price when I sold it too. If a carbon frame is well cared for they will last a long time. Unless you are going dics brakes most changes are incremental and I would rather go for the lighter bike.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

ALWAYS ALWAYS get the bike that'll finish your intended "budget".

You don't want to look back and say "crap, I should've gotten the better model".

tinozee

by tinozee

You also lose 28mm of seat tube vs. the SL4, which is a deal breaker for me. I already max out a long post on the 58 SL4 with 55cm seat tube. 52.2cm is too short to use, so no Tarmac for me anymore unless i ride the older models (which are still great!).

highdraw

by highdraw

tin,
You should be able to find a 400mm carbon 27.2 post to work with the SL5 Tarmac. Unless you are freakishly proportioned, generally not having a long enough seattube means you are riding a bike that is too small...no doubt you like a lot of drop.

We could discuss some of the improvements of the SL5 Tarmac...but the SL4 Tarmac won top honors year after year and picking up a pristine one still makes a lot of sense. I personally would be on a SL4 Tarmac but prefer the taller head tube and longer wheelbase of the Roubaix for the mixed road surfaces I ride. The Roubaix SL4 has about the same power transfer of a SL4 Tarmac as they really stiffened up the rear triangle of the higher level Roubaix...many believe too much.

funtez

by funtez

I'm personally in the same situation, was very close to upgrading to sl5 just recently but reading above posts I realised the loss of seatube length would push me right into the next size up which isn't where I wanted to be. I have since sold my sl4 but with prices coming down I may be back on one some day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

funtez

by funtez

I'm personally in the same situation, was very close to upgrading to sl5 just recently but reading above posts I realised the loss of seatube length would push me right into the next size up which isn't where I wanted to be. I have since sold my sl4 but with prices coming down I may be back on one some day.