SRAM Red cassette wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bfeist

by bfeist

Hi all,
I've been lurking for a while, but now have a question that I hope you can answer.

I have a Cervelo R3 Red that I'm in love with. I've put 7000km on the bike with very little maintenance other than cleaning. Last season (3500 km ago) I bought carbon wheels with a new SRAM Red dome cassette, but didn't replace the chain at that point. I wish my LBS had recommended that I do so.

Looking at my setup now, it's showing some wear. It's not malfunctioning at all. I just finished my first 140km GranFondo last weekend with no issues. I took the bike in after the event to another LBS and asked them to recommend maintenance. They think I should change everything, cassette, chain, chainrings, etc. MSRP on a cassette alone is $500. Nuts. About half that online.

Attached is a picture of the cassette. Can someone who knows what they're looking at give me a second opinion? Should I wait until I have problems to change things out?

Thanks.

1415chris

by 1415chris

In the future invest few $ buying a chain measuring tool http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/wp-conte ... n-wear.jpg

There is no chain which wouldn't start eating the cogs after such a mileage. Chainrings tend to last much longer.
There is no point replacing cassette, chain and rings if they still work without the issues.
In this case just ride it till it's completely dead and in the meantime start saving money for the replacements ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Call me crazy, but this doesn't look all that bad to me: when cassettes wear badly you end with squared off leading edges of the valleys and the trailing edges of the tops of the teeth get worn down. I don't see much of that on your cassette. Is it the seemingly missing teeth that you are concerned about? Because that's the way the older sram red powerdome cassettes were designed. Or the shaping on the leading edges and tops of the teeth? Because that's also part of the design. If it were me, I'd just clean it and install a new chain. If that leads to problems (eg chain slip) then a new cassette would be needed, but I don't think that'll happen. Here's a photo of a new cassette for comparison:

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

That cassette isn't actually super worn out. There is very, very little shark toothing (where the actual cassette teeth begin to wear and fold backwards slightly). Looks like it still has quite a few miles left on it. Also, 1090 10 spd cassette online are WAY cheaper than 500$. You can also just ride a 1070 sram cassette or 10 spd shimano ultegra cassette without any issues (I rock sram everything, but train on 1070 and Ultegra cassettes). As the previous poster, chain wear tools are awesome. Use them religiously and replace your chain when it is worn (stretched) and your cassette and chainring will last a long time.

Oswald

by Oswald

Cassette looks fine to me. I would just replace the chain as soon as possible. And get a chain wear tool so you know when to replace your next chain.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The cassette looks noisy! I'll sell you a used xg1090 for $100 :D

But really, replacing the chain a couple times a year is a great practice. That cassette doesn't look terrible.
Last edited by Imaking20 on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bfeist

by bfeist

Thanks so much everyone. New chain it is. I'll grab one today.

nickf

by nickf

I replace the cassette when the thing wont hold a gear under acceleration. The 1090s last a loooooong time. I clean the outer links every other ride and apply fresh lube, about 5 or 6 drops. NFS is the best chain lube i have ever used. ("NixFrixShun") Replace chain when my park tool says if its worn or not. I get a kmc x10sl off ebay for like $40 shipped.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Try the new chain. If cassette is worn much, it will start jumping on cassette which means that you need to change it too...

As everyone mentioned, checking the chain length regularly is really handy and money saving in long term.

stuka666

by stuka666

What about the front rings? Are they worn?

thprice

by thprice

ToffieBoi wrote:Try the new chain. If cassette is worn much, it will start jumping on cassette which means that you need to change it too...
:thumbup:
Also agree with nickf, kmc x10sl off ebay for like $40 shipped. Initially started measuring the chains but it is now predictable. 3 to 4 chains a year, so just wait for Strava to tell me when 5000 km is up, then install new chain.
I am happy to be conservative with chains (replace a little earlier than the chain tool tells me) as I know I will get the most out of those very costly XG1090 cassettes.
I clean and lube the chain every 300 - 400 km.
The front chainrings usually last a loooong time. If you cassette is not too bad, your chainrings should be fine.

stuka666

by stuka666

5000km a chain? Ain't that a bit too much?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I agree with the options here. Cassette looks fine. Replace chain frequently, i use KMC x10SL on Red. I replace ever 2000K. I don't lube the chain, i don't ride in the wet, i just clean the grit off it periodically. I know this is controversial.

Sounds like you need either a new LBS, or better yet, just buy some tools and do it all yourself. Saves money in the medium-long term and less frustrating than dealing with LBS. Chain rings take forever to die in my experience. Must have 20,000K on my rotor rings and they are still going strong.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

v0coder

by v0coder

I wish. I've been through 5 chains and 3 cassettes since last winter. I need to find a supplier of affordable 11 tooth cogs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dolophonic

by dolophonic

2000 kms for a new chain .. do you light your cigars with $100 bills ?