SRAM Red cassette wear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

Having an ftp over 350w makes chains and cassettes wear a -lot- faster. I'm not saying I do, but I know this to be true.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Here is a reference photo I just took. SRAM XG-1190 cassettes. Shimano Di2 9070, Shimano 9000 chain. One set of wheels is just for training, about 1400 miles on that cassette. The other tubulars same cassette, about 800 miles on it.

Original chain I replaced with new groupset in January of this year.

I am a clean freak/OCD (former really OCD nut, but I've calmed some with age ;) but once a month, I clean the chain/cassette with orange cleaner and mineral spirits with a park chain cleaning tool. In between big cleanings, I wipe the chain/cassette/rings down with a rag/acetone to remove any excess dirt/grime. I lube 1-2 times every 2 weeks using Dumond Tech chain lube (super quiet this stuff, but gets dirty more).

First photo is the more worn clincher training wheels, 1400 miles approx, second is the less worn one, 800 miles. But as you can see, cleaning the crap/sand/dirt etc...off your chain/cassette will make your cassettes/chain/rings last much longer as the photos prove. Also, I replace the chain once a year, just because. Cheap insurance, and it is likely stretched enough for me since I train/race and have mad powa'!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weenie

by weenie

meh ive 4000km (road) on the 1170 and i cant fault it. I'm actually eager to have to replace it so that i get a 1190 but it doesnt want to die..
cleaning it weekly along with the chain and chain rings and the pulleys with degreaser and relubing. i measure the chain every now and then/replace if its worn (which isn't all that often either).

So yes, cleaning your chain/drive train helps a lot for durability. it doesnt take much time either with proper tools. i have a tissue, a tooth brush and one of their chain cleaning tools, plus some degreaser, water, and telfon lube. Takes a bit more than 5min to clean + rince/wipe off water. I let it fully dry an hour, then lube and let that dry an hour too as i use dry teflon lube (generally over night since i wont re-ride it the same day after cleaning)

bfeist

by bfeist

Thanks everyone for taking the time write up so much detail and information. This forum is great!

I bought a new SRAM 1091 chain (the 1091R wasn't in stock at my LBS) and installed it yesterday. Took a test ride today and everything runs absolutely perfectly and silently!

I'm using Pedro's wet chain lube which I find to be super quiet. Was using wax before. Pedro's also collects dirt quickly, but given that autumn is approaching and with it many wet rides, I figured it was a good time to switch. I first degreased the new chain and cassette to remove manufacturer's grease from the chain, and the was from the cassette.

Attached are some photos of the cassette all cleaned up. You can see the chain joint wear marks pretty clearly, but given the smooth as silk performance (I even put out max effort on some 10% hills just to make sure it doesn't skip) I won't be replacing the cassette any time soon.

@stuka666 was asking about my chainring wear. Pic attached. They look kind of worn, but no shifting issues, noise or skipping. Again, if it ain't broke I won't fix it.

@NiFTY, I bought a chain tool (finally) for the chain change out. When it comes time to finally replace the cassette I'll definitely buy the tools and do it myself. Paying MSRP+ for attitude and questionable advice at my LBS definitely isn't worth it.

Thanks again, everyone.

cveks

by cveks

How long your Sram Red XG1190 cassette lasts these days? I have one old more than 3 years still works great . I just bought used 11-28T will check it soon is it good as soon as weather conditions improve.

jacobeh

by jacobeh

NiFTY wrote:
Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm
I agree with the options here. Cassette looks fine. Replace chain frequently, i use KMC x10SL on Red. I replace ever 2000K. I don't lube the chain, i don't ride in the wet, i just clean the grit off it periodically. I know this is controversial.

Sounds like you need either a new LBS, or better yet, just buy some tools and do it all yourself. Saves money in the medium-long term and less frustrating than dealing with LBS. Chain rings take forever to die in my experience. Must have 20,000K on my rotor rings and they are still going strong.
Want to chip in that my SRAM Red cassette at this point have 20.000KM on it and is also still going strong. Just goes to say that regular maintenance (cleaning / lubing) + changing the chain (also KMC) when it reaches wear (around 3-4000km for me) goes a long way

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I'm at about 17k for my 1190 cassette. Still has 1-2 chains left in it I reckon. It's on a set of wheels that have been abused to high heavens through 3 winters, so make of the longevity what you will.

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

Do the right thing. Don't go back to that LBS.
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Am I the only one looking at a missing cassette tooth and thinking it's wrong? Is that fine to ride with a whole tooth missing?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:35 pm
Am I the only one looking at a missing cassette tooth and thinking it's wrong?
Yes.
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Is that fine to ride with a whole tooth missing?
Was just 10 speed. xg1190 has an extra tooth compared to -1090.

xg1290 has this weird tiny cog on it, I look at it and think it's wrong and, also, wonder if it's fine to ride with a whole tooth missing.

Other than that, have no complaint or complaints w/ HRD 11 Force. 22500km+ HRD Levers, Calipers, derailleur. 12km on a previous 1190 cassette, just moved it over to another build.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

MarshMellow wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:23 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Yes.
LanceLegstrong wrote:

xg1290 has this weird tiny cog on it, I look at it and think it's wrong and, also, wonder if it's fine to ride with a whole tooth missing.

Other than that, have no complaint or complaints w/ HRD 11 Force. 22500km+ HRD Levers, Calipers, derailleur. 12km on a previous 1190 cassette, just moved it over to another build.
Huh, didn't know it was designed like that. Never seen a cassette with a gap like that. What's the purpose of it?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:40 pm
MarshMellow wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:23 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Yes.
LanceLegstrong wrote:

Huh, didn't know it was designed like that. Never seen a cassette with a gap like that. What's the purpose of it?
SRAM had been manufacturing chains in volume for years prior to entering road cycling, near 50years of manufacturing experience gained in South America, Portugal. With whatever interpretation of 9- 10 speed drivetrain overall-efficiency was settled upon, that transition to the bottom cog/low gear was a factor.

EDIT - Gripshift. That's their first actual product only had learned of it through Mountain Biking. Made for road-use in 1987.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

How many people went to check their cassette to make sure all the teeth were there? I did.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

SRAM Open Glide is what it's called, apparently a carryover from Sachs when they acquired that company. Supposedly to make shifting better. But they don't do it on the newer 11 and 12 speed cassettes so I wonder if they found it doesn't do much.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neomoz

by neomoz

As others have already said, get a chain wear tool. Make a habbit of measuring your chain wear and replace the chain at .75 stretch. If you do that often your chainrings and cassette will last a very long time. Much cheaper and easier replacing a chain.

It's the chain stretch and elongation that wears out your chainrings/cassettes. Generally speaking after about 3000km is when most chains start nearing the end of their life.