Pixs of relocated 6870 Di2 A junct to top of TMR01 seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I was asking questions about this a month or so ago and got the project finished a few weeks ago. Turned out great.
Switched to Bontrager XXX Aero bars. I specifically used these bars because they had factory holes for internal cabling, a large cable exit hole (to fit a B junction into), and a elongated round area if I wanted to use clip-ons.
Relocated the A to the top of the seatpost. Have a single iTube from the A down internally in the seatpost and hooked into the internal battery with a B right below the seatpost. Then there is an iTube from there that goes to the B in the BB area.
The cockpit has a B junction internal to the bars. I had to round the edges of that B in order to fit in the bar cable access hole (tried fishing up from the end...seems like it should have worked, but didn't). Also had to cleanup some flash around the cable hole with a dremel. It was a tight squeeze getting into the cable hole with all the iTubes connected to it, but it worked.

The rest of the new setup is a Zipp Service Course SL stem and a Tillquist Garmin mount (which is sahweet BTW Morten!)

Here are some pixs. Sorry for a crappy quality. (These pixs show cable ties on the iTube/rear brake hsg. I've since cleaned that up using electrical tape wrapping.)

Shows the rounded corners on the B junction that went in the bars.
2015 Specialized Crux Pro
2013 BMC TMR01 custom build
2013 Cannondale F-Series 29'er, Carbon 3
2012 Cannondale CAAD10-1 custom build, 14.06 lbs
1980 Palo Alto custom build

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petal666

by petal666

All that work, yet you still have mismatched carbon spacers on your steerer. :)

cajer

by cajer

Wow we almost have the exact same setup except that my bike is a cervelo s5

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

I am SO sorry petal :evil: that I failed to mention in my original post that was changed out. :unbelievable:

cajer....hope those help. Was kind of hard to explain.

cajer

by cajer

Are you saying that you used a different seat post?

nigel379

by nigel379

Love it. I might do the same as I am switching from a Venge to TMR this year. I had already done the same method on my TM02, but hadn't decided if I was going to do this on my TMR. Looks great, so now I have to do it.

Gearhead65

by Gearhead65

cajer...it's the stock BMC seatpost.

kode54

by kode54

that's nice and tidy. i'd like to move my junction/charger port elsewhere as well...but just not that versed in e-tube wiring. the B junction is just like an extension conduit?

if i have left and right shifters (with climbing shifters plugged into them) i have a junction A box with 5 ports...only 3 are being used (1+1 for left and right shifters, plus one e-tube wire for the BB junction). does it matter where all the components are on the wiring?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Nice!

I saw your original post and I was thinking about doing the same thing, but the challenge would be getting an e-tube wire get to the top of a 27.2mm seatpost (it is a really tight fit today). One possible solution could be moving the battery to the seat tube. I would also need to change my bars (Deda Superleggera.... it has grooves, but no holes).

Is anyone aware of a WW / round-ish handlebar with holes for this kind of solutions? I could only find aero bars, that are all > 200g (i do not like the flat section of most aero bars).

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Those bars look awesome! Very clean looking set up.

AndreLM

by AndreLM

I was just thinking here... does anyone know if Junction A is required in a Di2 setup?

I could have a "B" inside the handlebar with a wire up to the bar end. I would simply remove the bar end plug and connect A" only for charging. For configuration, I could eventually connect the A again.

I would lose the low-battery warnings, but maybe a hidden (inside frame) wireless unit (SM-EWW01) connected to a compatible head unit would work.

rma

by rma

I really don't know if it would work, but I assume that if the Junction A was unnecessary, maybe they would eliminate it from the system...

goodboyr

by goodboyr

How would you put the system into adjustment mode?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Oh. Sorry didn't see your point about connecting A temporarily.

nigel379

by nigel379

Quick question, did you just drill through the foam to get the wire to the top of the post? I was looking at my friend's di2 tmr and bmc uses a foam to keep the battery in the seatpost. Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com