Parlee ESX or S5 or what?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

You're actually quite right. Within the regulations we have currently dictating chord/width and double diamond and fairings, we are merely optimizing designs now, and mostly reduction of side force at yaw.

As far as the guy who doesn't believe in aero for TT. All I can say is lol. Good luck at your next time trial or ironman bike segment

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Note that in the velodrome, yaw actually changes. It is not 0 yaw all the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Also, in reference to the F1 comparison, reducing drag is not what makes F1 aerodynamics difficult. Reducing drag is a piece of piss compared to what F1 engineers are working on, which is efficiently increasing downforce. If you took a current F1 car and removed all of the multi-million dollar wings and trick exhausts you would instantly make it significantly faster in a straight line. A far better comparison for the requirements of a bike frame would be land speed record cars which are essentially just long smooth tubes, and that's it.

And even then in F1, despite the fact that they're working on systems that are orders of magnitude more complicated than bike frames or straight line cars, and having to balance totally conflicting requirements, a 'complete flop' is a car that's 1 second a lap slower than the competition.

Rodecki

by Rodecki

Getting back to bikes

Are those TRP breaks on Propel or Argon 18 Nitrogen really that bad?

Also, am devoted Campy user and cannot see me using Di2. Was looking at say Canyon Aeroad CF SLX and they use direct mount breaks. Anybody heard anything when would Campy up to speed on direct mounts?

thx

morrisond

by morrisond

EE makes Direct Mount Brakes which would pair up nicely with Campy

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Rodecki wrote:Getting back to bikes

Are those TRP breaks on Propel or Argon 18 Nitrogen really that bad?

Also, am devoted Campy user and cannot see me using Di2. Was looking at say Canyon Aeroad CF SLX and they use direct mount breaks. Anybody heard anything when would Campy up to speed on direct mounts?

thx

It's not necessarily the brake itself that is the problem. You have to route the cabling properly. For example, the Propel's brake cable routing costs is as much if not more drag than the integrated brakes save.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Rodecki wrote:yep
Was thinking of Canyon Aeroad. Great pricing

Heard that Argon 18 manage to strike some balance between stifness and comfort (at least on their Galium....)
Its new nitrogen looks interesting. Good aero breaks (like Propel)

Felt - not sure I like a break at the bottom of a crank.

Doesn't the ESX have the brake at the BB, too?
I'd be far more concerned with a Linear pull proprietary brake like the Propel and others use vs. a Shimano rear brake.

-SD

djconnel

by djconnel

The ESX is first-tier, with Cervelo, if you believe Parlee numbers.

As to whether aero matters for non-pros. Pick one, either neither aero and weight matter, or they both do, unless the point is simply to impress women with your light bike, which may indeed be the case. The reality is probably that for most of us neither is particularly important.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Regardless of whether you think it matters or not, aero is an order of magnitude larger component of speed than weight on most terrain that isn't pointed straight up.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Its always neat to read someone say "for most of us". Kind of a useless statement. To those who don't understand, that could be interpreted as an authoritative recommendation from someone who is known to be a numbers guy. For those who do understand, they will say " I am not part of the most of us".

ShayMc

by ShayMc

The canyon aeroad is set at a great price and comes with decent wheels. You might find a deal on a Giant Propel or even a spesh venge. Hope you get the one you want and ride the he'll out of it!!

Stueys

by Stueys

Given that all of the gains on the new s5 have come from the cockpit and the rest of the focus has been on improving ride-ability, I actually think the best compromise is a semi-aero frame (r5 for instance) with an aero bar. Gives much of the best of both worlds

panos

by panos

Isaac meson is a great semi aero frame ...