CeramicSpeed BBright 4625 Campagnolo Experience?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Does anyone have experience with the CeramicSpeed BBright 4625 Campy bottom bracket?
I'm awaiting delivery of a Cervelo R3 frame to build with an existing Record group. There is universal praise for this frameset but I am always suspect of press fit bottom brackets.
I am among the group of folks who believe 'press fit' bottom brackets are simply a cost cutting manufacturing tactic. The bottom bracket is the most important rider/bike interface and should be manufactured to the strictest tolerances and threaded. But that is becoming more and more rare.
I want to get the most reliable result I can with this frameset and my preferred grouppo, and if the CeramicSpeed (or I see another by Wishbone) is the way than I will do it. As a last resort I will have to buy a new crank specifically designed for BBright, but I resent that I might have to.
The initial build plan by the dealer is to use the standard Campagnolo BBright adapter cups. But any reading of the forums reveals this is no guarantee of success.
If a guy can go spend five hundred dollars and get a bottom bracket he never has a problem with, then I should expect nothing less when I spend five thousand dollars. And it should NEVER creak.
I guess more generally I'm interested in what worked well for Cervelo/BBright/Campagnolo owners.
Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Take a look at bbinfinite.com. They're making a full length BB which includes a campy one. I haven't used one but I've heard nothing but success and good things about them.

Add: If it's installed properly it won't creak. None of mine have including the MTB.

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Thanks for the link. I will certainly keep this as an option.
You said...
None of mine have (creaked) including the MTB.
I definitely want that to be my experience.
I am on the obsessive compulsive side about the bike being completely silent. The only thing I want to hear climbing a mountain is my breathing and the sounds of nature.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

rmerka

by rmerka

I don't ride Campy on any of my bikes but they all have pressfit BB's. I always use alloy cups and loctite retaining compound. Which ever route you go make certain that the bottom bracket and frame shell is absolutely clean (and use gloves) before installation and let the press sit overnight under pressure while the compound cures after pressing in the cups. I have thousands of miles on the pressfits and never once have I had a creak from the BB. Best BB that I've used to date is the Chris King PF30 but I don't think they have a Campy compatible version. Another option out there if you are entertaining a new crank and not digging stuff like Rotor would be the Campy Over Torque. I believe there are some on this forum that are successfully using that crank with a standard PF30 BB's. Good luck!

rma

by rma

I have two BBRight bikes and have used two SRAM PF BBs (plastic cups WITH retaining compound), one WHEELS MFG (alloy cups WITH retaining compound) and one ROTOR 4630 (plastic cups WITHOUT retaining compound, came installed with the bike and creaked after 10 days). I am quite obsessive about this BB installation and use the same procedure as rmerka said. I usually wait 48h for the cure process (under pressure) and before pressing the BB, I put them on the freezer for a few minutes so that they slide in the frame easier.

carlcurry

by carlcurry

The OEM stuff creaking after 10 days. Ugh.
I'm soaking up all this information because the shop doing the build mentioned the Campagnolo BBright cups not needing Loctite.
I'm going to point out the information from the Cervelo site, the bbright.net site and the practical experience from this thread, all of which say use of Loctite required.
I do not have the race press tools so I can not execute the BB install myself.

I'm hoping to get, say, a trouble free year out of this initial setup and when the next normal maintenance cycle comes along swap out the crank to an A grade fitting model. Or at least to a solution like the CeramicSpeed.

rma

by rma

Good luck!

uraqt

by uraqt

The campy cups requite the Loctite !!

http://bbright.net/BBrightTM-Press-Fit-Instructions.pdf

Loctite 680

C

highdraw

by highdraw

carlcurry wrote:The OEM stuff creaking after 10 days. Ugh.
I'm soaking up all this information because the shop doing the build mentioned the Campagnolo BBright cups not needing Loctite.
I'm going to point out the information from the Cervelo site, the bbright.net site and the practical experience from this thread, all of which say use of Loctite required.
I do not have the race press tools so I can not execute the BB install myself.

I'm hoping to get, say, a trouble free year out of this initial setup and when the next normal maintenance cycle comes along swap out the crank to an A grade fitting model. Or at least to a solution like the CeramicSpeed.

You don't need special tools to press UT cups into a BBright frame. But I wouldn't use the shop you mentioned.
Pretty much all knowledgeable shops...and most may not be knowledgeable btw, use Loctite in every incantation of integrated BB's from BB30 to PF30 to BB90, BBright...you name it.

You can do this yourself at home if you are mechanically inclined. Many use a long threaded rod with fender washer but a large C clamp with two 1 inch wide blocks of wood...pushing one cup in at a time and you are good. No different than installing a headset in a steel or Ti bike.
Alcohol + Loctite is a critical element. If you do it properly, it won't creak. Unlike external press in cups for Campy which aren't nearly as robust, for BBright having the bearings inside the cup that is pressed inside the shell is rock solid with Locitite.

If you can't do this yourself, find a better shop.
Campy UT cups for BBright are $60 + a bottle of Loctite

uraqt

by uraqt

Sorry highdraw it's not that easy :) .... I live in a major US city and I have to special order the Loctite : )

I totally agree with highdraw order the Loctite and primer from amazon, google how to build a bottom bracket press

http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/13536/91526.aspx

go to you local hardware store buy a big bolt, nut and a few washer and do it right your self...

At min, find a new shop!!!

C

PS I still don't think it is going to to work the campy cups suck... your best bet is the

PARLEE PF30 TO CAMPAGNOLO ADAPTERS

http://www.parleecycles.com/store/

They go deeper in to the bottom bracket and more surface area for the Loctite

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

call Cervelo before installing a Campy Crank. What they told me after one frame failed R5 and the replacement frame could not get the cranks from sticking. Campy cranks and the BB cups are no longer supported by Cervelo. The BB cups are not manufactured correctly, as there are so few people who ride Cervelo with Campy, Campy is not prepared to fix the issue.
I was told i had to get a new crank, non Campy. Cervelo knows the issue, and I was suprised they were so open in saying I was shit out of luck with my Campy Crank.

uraqt

by uraqt

toronto-rider, I head the same thing, however until they pull them from the BBright page, they should still be supported. : ) so not cool

c

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Well, this is getting more interesting isn't it?
I remember from my recent build of a BB30 bike many folks had good success with the Parlee cups. I have looked them up as a candidate.
Highdraw, yep, I'm now concerned about the shop doing the build. And my visit there today to clarify didn't give me any confidence.
Based on everything I'm reading, I'm now prepared to go for a Comp Ultra crank if it will mean no hassles and an A grade fit. Or, if that's no go as well then a Rotor crank.
My instincts are telling me the existing Record ultra torque on BBright could ultimately be a fail.
There is a post here: http://forums.cervelo.com/forums/t/13720.aspx that says the Comp Ultra over torque is a good solution for BBright, but looks to be more in theory than 'it's been a year now with no issues'.
With the Comp Ultra crank the part I'm confused on (I spend too much time confused on bottom brackets) is the Comp Ultra PF30 bottom bracket, like here: http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/33 ... orque.html
PF30 I see as 46mm x 68mm. BBright is 46mm x 79mm. Is this the right bottom bracket?
If I can nail down the right bottom bracket for Comp Ultra on BBright I'd like to go that direction.
Luckily I have a bike still wearing a Chorus square taper crank that my Record ultra torque is a perfect match for so I can still put it to use.
Thanks for all the input.

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Uraqt, kind of full circle...
I did read the article earlier, focusing on your experience with ultra torque and BBright. It was part of my realization I was going down the wrong path.
Just went back to reread. OK. Chris King without the sleeve. Or, other PF30's will probably work albeit with the same sleeve issue on the wider width BBright.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com