CeramicSpeed BBright 4625 Campagnolo Experience?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rmerka

by rmerka

Out of curiosity I bought one of the BBInfinite BB's and I'm very impressed with the quality and ingenuity of the design. I think if you go that route on your Campy crank install you will be very pleased with how smooth and creak free this BB is. I only have about 30 miles on the one I just put in my R5 but it is very smooth and free running. Perhaps the smoothest BB I've ever seen, pressfit or threaded.

They don't mention it anywhere but the regular PF30 has this metal sleeve that floats in between the bearings which prevents over pre-loading the bearings and I think this makes it run super smooth. I don't know if that exists in the Campy version but it's really nice.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlcurry

by carlcurry

@rmerka - I did visit the BBinfinite site earlier on when you mentioned it, but they seemed to be sold out. Went there again today and they had stock to sell. So it's ordered and (hopefully) arriving soon.
I am an old fan of smooth running bearing surfaces, way back to as a kid endlessly tinkering with grease weights and preload on loose ball hubs for maximum spin and that valve stem stopping on the bottom from gravity.

On the build front, I contacted the shop I used to frequent as a long time resident in our previous home. I've since moved so it's now a 40 mile drive. He is 'an old Campy guy' by his own acknowledgement, and he is a Specialized dealer, so he sees plenty of the in and outs of working with PF30. He says bring it over when it's ready to go and he will do the build.
So things are coming together.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

carlcurry

by carlcurry

I'll close this with a few things learned about building a Cervelo R3 with Campagnolo (some of which may apply more broadly). Then hopefully the thread isn't just taking up space on the forum servers.
* The seatpost wants to slip. Nothing really new here with carbon frames I suppose. It took a healthy dose of carbon paste and 7Nm on the wrench to get mine to stay put. Recommend having some carbon paste on hand when you bring it home and measure up/fine tune the saddle.
* PF30 is all the hassle you've ever heard as far as I'm concerned. After endless reading I ended up with a Over Torque Comp One crankset and the BBInfinite bracket. The shop used spacers they had on hand, which ended up right about 11mm. So we're getting the Rotor 11.5 spacer to use and clean up the setup.
* I think the Campagnolo Over Torque is a better/native approach to BBRight and PF30 in general. Uses a 30mm spindle which is what PF30 is designed for. I have a Record Ultra Torque I intended to use, but everything I've read says it's hit and miss. You might end up fine or you might end up with multiple redo's. Seems to be partly driven by who is doing the setup, what bracket cups, Loctite, among other things. I didn't risk it.
* As was recommended in this thread if you really want to control the BB prep and install go buy the press tool and handle it yourself. I toyed with that but ultimately all the time I can carve out for myself I look to put in riding. Or, at least ask some probing questions of the mechanic doing the build to be sure they are willing to put the time in for a good outcome.
* I could have used the BB that comes with the Cervelo frame with the Over Torque crank. I just wanted (hopefully) a smoother and longer lasting setup with the BBInfinite. Only time will tell on that. There are also other bracket solutions that may work great for this application. Praxis comes to mind, probably others. I can't speak to those.
The take away is put a little extra care into the bottom bracket/crank to make sure you come away with a solution that meets your needs right from the start. Don't assume you can throw anything you've got at it and it will come out great. It might. It might not.
* The Rotor stuff is naturally aligned and known to work well with Cervelo. If I didn't want to maintain the Campagnolo aesthetic I would have just gone with that.
* The ride characteristics (only have 100 or so miles on it) I notice are very direct pedaling input, predictable not twitchy steering. I did do a couple technical descents but didn't really full throttle it like I do sometimes. No surprises though. The vertical compliance and lateral stiffness feels just right for digs out of the saddle, just a bit less soft over road chatter than I expected. It's a reasonable trade off though.
* Aside from the bracket/crank extra attention and getting the post to stay put the rest goes together with no hassle and works just the way it should.
Thanks to those whose input helped me get this thing on the road.
Attachments
Cervelo R3 Campagnolo Record
Cervelo R3 Campagnolo Record

highdraw

by highdraw

There is no extra attention needed for Cervelo's BBright. Nor is a special BB required over an above the stock Cervelo 30mm ID BB that comes with the frame. Campy's OT will mount to the stock Cervelo BB without issue provided the mechanic knows what he is doing. Campy's OT crank design is needlessly complex but that is another subject.

Your opening comment about carbon seat posts slipping without carbon paste is pretty common knowledge on all carbon road bikes.

Enjoy the bike. Campy on Cervelo is a good thing.

PS: the overwhelming reason for integrated BB's creaking is Loctite isn't used. Cervelo spec's Loctite for BBright. Many now will come forward and say they never use Loctite and their BB's never creak. That is indeed true. Some tolerance stack ups plus rider weight and power will not need Loctite. It is a statistical lottery. But if you don't want an issue with the first install, use Loctite.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Recommended torque for the r3 seat post clamp is 4.5 Nm. So......

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Yup. I should have included that 4.5 is exactly where I started and this was done with a torque wrench. Heck, that's exactly why I have the torque wrench, to avoid trashing things by monkey wrenching.
It took me multiple stops during my commute to/from work, nudging it up just a little each time. But, importantly, it dawns on me that was before the carbon paste.
So I just walked over and backed it off a bit. As long as it stays put I'll back it off some more until I find the 'sweet spot'. I much prefer just torqueing to spec and riding.

highdraw

by highdraw

If you apply a thin layer of carbon paste to the post throughout its engagement to the seat tube and torque to spec you should never have an issue. Biggest mistake a carbon frame owner can make is continuing to increase torque on the binder bolt because his post is slipping due to lack of carbon paste. If anybody continues to struggle with a seat post slipping...some 600# grit wet sanding of the area of the post directly under the clamp + carbon paste will increase friction to resolve it. Carbon paste is also effective for the handlebar stem clamp. A torque wrench on a seat post clamp is a very good idea for I would say everybody, including experienced mechanics.