Workstands, PRS-20 or Feedback Sprint

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jspaceman

by jspaceman

I'm looking to buy a workstand for working on and cleaning my bikes. Preferably one of the 'Euro-style' stands that clamp onto the dropouts. I'm thinking either the Park Tool PRS-20 or the Feedback Sprint. Both are around the same price here in Canada. Weight isn't that important to me since I won't be travelling around with it, although I'm wondering if a heavier stand might be a little more stable if I'm working outdoors on a windy day (I don't have a garage).

I have read that the PRS-20 is prone to corrosion if you get it wet. Is this true, and should I spend the extra money and get the aluminum PRS-21?

How is the Feedback Sprint for stability? Is it pretty solid? Are the quick release mounts durable?

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Not as versatile/adjustable but very stable is the Tacx T3075.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000
Less is more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Feedback Sprint owner here. Very well made. I cannot compare with PRS-20, but the finishing seems better than other Park tools I've seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I've had a PRS-20 for several years. I use it to wash my bike. Over the years I have experienced corrosion, to the point where it will now not rotate or raise and lower. The specific issue is the steel construction and the plastic sleeve that serves as the interface between the central support tube and the tripod base. The interior of the tripod base rusts, and then that causes some material expansion (rusted steel is bigger in volume than plain steel). That squeezes against the tube and freezes it up. This happened after a few years in use. I managed to unstick it with some liquid wrench. I sanded down the rusted layer on the inside of the base, and then greased everything and reassembled. Took about 3 more years and then this time it froze for good. I sold it to someone who didn't mind that it was a fixed height. Bought the PRS-21 which is the aluminum version. Greased it up during initial assembly.

Other than this issue (which I am sure can be prevented by more frequent disassembly and cleaning and greasing), its a fabulous stand that is perfect for carbon bikes.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I too have a PRS-21. No corrosion issues here. No every stand does everything, but I have no problems with mine and certainly would buy another one. Some say they have issues with routing cables under the BB, both of my bikes are electric so I have no problems with that. Nice that I can torque the BB cups down on the stand.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Just picked up a Feedback Sprint and got rid of a Park Tool PCS-9 after a friend did the same and swears by the Feedback. It was already worth the change when the stand took up no more room in my trunk than a floor pump!

russianbear

by russianbear

I have a PRS21. Great quality, light, packs down pretty small. I was looking at the Elite race stand as well, but I stumbled upon this in the second hand market.

dcaspira

by dcaspira

Sprint owner here, beautifully made, easy to user and beautiful to look at with its red finish. No hesitations in recommending over Park or equiv. Good luck :)

Geoff

by Geoff

No problem with corrosion, although all pf my plastic knobs have broken-off over the years. For travel, the 21 might be ok, but for real races, I recommend the 20. In the wind or power-washer, it won't blow-over like a lighter version might.

jspaceman

by jspaceman

Geoff wrote:No problem with corrosion, although all pf my plastic knobs have broken-off over the years. For travel, the 21 might be ok, but for real races, I recommend the 20. In the wind or power-washer, it won't blow-over like a lighter version might.

Will Park replace the plastic knobs if they break?

fogman

by fogman

I have the Feedback Sprint stand. Very stable and well engineered.

The padded tote bag for the stand is a poor design, though. Requires that you remove the skewer to fit the stand into the storage bag. You can leave the skewer on but then it won't zip completely.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com