DeRosa King, Colnago C60, Wilier Zero 7

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which would you buy and why?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:01 am

2014 DeRosa 888 Super King
6%
Colnago C60
71%
2014 Wilier Zero 7
10%
Other
13%

Total votes: 48

OrPe

by OrPe

The look is definitely not Italian , though it is made in a LOOK factory (not Taiwanese factory that builds for look, bit a look factory in Tunisia).

I have ridden extensively look 381, 585 and now the 595.
I Have only praises for the ride quality of all these models. (in between i rode cervelo r2.5, soloist, R3 and a Parlee Z4).
The new ones are different (no lugs) but supposedly have the same ride qualities.
If he is a lightweight climber, a NOS look586 may fit fit... Basically climbers bike (there's a review on ww for it - many praises. I will try to find it).
The 586 could be found quite cheap in the us (2700 for an ultegra - mavic elite build).

Oren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by OrPe on Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickl

by nickl

I have a Wilier (Wilier Cento1 SR) and had a DeRosa (a Merak II).

When I got my Wilier I actually tried to get a Super King, but they claimed it only was suitable for Campag (I prefer Shimano). I like the Super King in black-on-black, but I'm not convinced by the twisting tubes in other colours.

I like the look of my Wilier, but it's a pretty harsh riding bike (apparently the older Centro was even stiffer). I preferred the ride of the DeRosa. The Zero7 is supposed to be a bit softer though.

Out of the bikes you listed I'd take the C60. It's such a perfect looking bike. I really like the Look 695 too. Not a fan of the Lapiere - it doesn't look very special.

Maybe Time (or LeMond!) or BMC are worth looking at?

isharamet

by isharamet

Take a look at new 2015 De Rosa King XS. Fluo orange looks sweet.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I have a c-59. Got it just over a year ago. I don't have any experience with the other bikes mentioned. What impresses me about the c-59 is not that its aero(it isn't), or stiff(it's stiff enough for me), but that it's a very comfortable bike to ride for hours at a time, it climbs well, corners well but is stable at the same time, and never makes you feel like it doesn't want to go where you point it. I always feel this bike is ready to do more, and that its the rider holding it back and not the other way around. It's that feeling that gets me to push myself so that the following week the bike does go a little faster. I like the fact that its made in Italy by a bike builder and not outsourced to an Asian factory(for that reason I would never buy their other lower end bikes). If it wasn't for Colnago I'm pretty sure I would be on a custom Ti Bike such as a Firefly, Bedford or Erikson or Spectrum maybe Passoni. I also find some of the brands such as Pinarello or Cervello to gimicky.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

rosuch

by rosuch

Just built a C60 with much Super Record, two rides in and I must say it's the most comfortable bike I've ridden. It climbs and is extremely stable which makes me want to ride more.

kgt

by kgt

2014 Wilier Zero 7 because:

hoggy wrote:He is more of a hills rider than a sprinter and is pretty light weight.

Wilier Zero7 is not a real made in Italy. There are though many really Italian ww frames (even custom) from Bottechia, Carrera, Battaglin, Formigli, Ciocc, Sarto, Legend, FRM...

hoggy

by hoggy

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Over to my mate now to make the final call. I'll post the results of his choice if I can.

:beerchug:

NelsonDownUnder

by NelsonDownUnder

I think it's fair to say the limited votes represent brand preference and popularity. If you included Cervelo or Pina they'd prob win for that very reason...

For the record, I voted Wilier. However, I'm biased:). I just decided on and bought the all new, barely out yet 2015 (not 2014) Wilier Zero.7. Check it out online; and I'm happy to answer any questions from a new owners perspective and someone who looked around for a while! I posed some photo's on here in the "introduce yourself" section (FYI).
Good luck and happy cycling!

milkbaby

by milkbaby

Looks like Scapin Ivor is custom made in Italy, haven't ridden one, but it looks lovely and seems to have good reviews. I know your friend is not a sprinter, but the Cipollini bikes seem very nice, although not sure the ride quality.

I know a few others mentioned it, but I have a Time in my stable of bikes and the ride quality is what sets it apart from my other bikes. However it's made in France, not Italy.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

milkbaby wrote:I know a few others mentioned it, but I have a Time in my stable of bikes and the ride quality is what sets it apart from my other bikes. However it's made in France, not Italy.

Having owned two Times, a VXR & a VXRS, I would take an Italian built frame over one every time. Neither bike handled anywhere as well as the De Rosas I've owned nor the DeAnima I have. All fitted perfectly but the higher bb of the Time made it skittish in comparison. 5mm is all the difference but it shows.

RRsport

by RRsport

hoggy wrote:Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Over to my mate now to make the final call. I'll post the results of his choice if I can.

:beerchug:

So what did he go for in the end?
I am very close to go for the De Rosa King XS with Campa Superrecord, I think the bike looks great, and I have heard that it is pretty good to ride as well.

tinozee

by tinozee

King XS is super hot looking imo, I like the white version. I haven't ridden one but I'd love to see a review..

kgt

by kgt

It looks really hot but the position and performance of the rear brake is something to consider.

tinozee

by tinozee

True, I didn't notice that. Not a fan of the chain stay brake mount trend.

RRsport

by RRsport

kgt wrote:It looks really hot but the position and performance of the rear brake is something to consider.

same position as on the Trek Madone 2015?
I am not to wirried about that, I am sure it is good enough for me, but when you say performance, do you mean less breaking power?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com