Tour magazine frame weights: carbon, titanium, steel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jooo

by jooo

airwise wrote:I've ridden the same frame (Seven) with butted tubing and it simply lacked a little rigidity

Assuming that the tube diameters are the same, this just isn't the case. It's simply not how stiffness works.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Sometimes "compliance" gets a little mixed up with "rigity" in how things are interpreted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

erikw1968

by erikw1968

Legend!!

airwise

by airwise

I always took compliance to refer to comfort over rough terrain rather than the noodly loss of power feeling one gets from some framesets but there are any number of reasons for my (and others) experiencing the latter on the butted frameset. One being the traditional geo as opposed to the compact design of my Alaris.

I don't doubt that the oversized tubing makes for a different feel again. I was just interested as to whether oversized Ti still felt like Ti if that makes sense? The most gorgeous welds I've personally seen have been on Passoni framesets that I've ridden by.

If I want a stiff frameset for pure speed (such that I can manage!) in the mountains, I'd ride a carbon product. Maybe that's a psychological thing. Wasn't there a Tour test many moons ago where they "blind tested" a number of different frame materials and none of the riders could tell the difference when the weights were equalized?