Help with damaged rear dropout/ derailleur hanger

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gn1tmac

by gn1tmac

Bike was damaged being shipped by fedex in a sci'con aerotech case. hanger is not bent and i was able to find the tine screws in the box. they don't appear totally stripped. the piece of frame torn off is small. could i epoxy the hanger back on with screws? i'm just try to salvage the frame for a indoor trainer bike.

BRM

by BRM

How is that possible, Fedex Always takes good care of your stuff :shock:

Watch this vid>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCGBNj-a ... j-aSwA#t=6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I don't think epoxy will last. The carbon fibers need to be continuous and aligned properly. I suspect that frame is ruined unless you get some professional frame repair.

mattr

by mattr

If its just for a trainer bike (no risk of the rear mech ever going into the wheel) I'd get some epoxy in there, sandwiched in with the hanger and then a nice, heavy steel skewer (shimano) and stick a washer on the outside that fills as much of the drop out face as is physically possible. Then crank it up nice and tight. (possibly use a pair of washers to sandwich the entire drop out while the epoxy dries?)

Should be fine for your needs.
As long as there is a flat face for the hanger to press against and enough skewer end load, the little bolts do pretty much nothing except locate and hold it in place when your wheel is out. So a bit of epoxy should be fine.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I hate to say it, but in my opinion, the frame is trashed. I had my wife's bike fixed a year ago, and all the repair shops wanted at least 1 inch between the damage and any junction (ie: they wanted tubes, not junctions). Here, you're talking about a section where it will be difficult for a repair to grab onto. The repairer won't be able to do a slip-fit repair (sliding in a smaller slug with a larger repaired portion outside), and any butt-joint repair is going to involve a large amount of CF being layered on for strength, unless you can get someone to completely recreate the rear drop-out.

gn1tmac

by gn1tmac

well, i took a shot at it... i used an epoxy to secure the hanger to the frame and JB weld marine formula to fill in miss piece of carbon. see how it looks in morning after 24 hours.

rijndael

by rijndael

If it doesn't hold, your RD could end up in the wheel. Be careful.

gn1tmac

by gn1tmac

rijndael wrote:If it doesn't hold, your RD could end up in the wheel. Be careful.

will test it on a wahoo kickr... feel pretty safe on there

mattr

by mattr

Its a trainer bike, should be using a heavy crappy wheel and only need about 3 gears.

Looks like almost exactly what i would have done.
Just need a cheap, stiff skewer to hold it all together.

Oswald

by Oswald

I've never transported a bike by plane before, and would like to know what happens in case something goes wrong. Can you file a claim to get a compensation?
And did you keep the derailleur on the bike during transport? I think I would unscrew it from the frame.

mattr

by mattr

Derailleur comes off and is taped between the stays, big block of wood (2"x2" and 130mm long) taped between the drop outs, supports the entire inner face of the hanger.

And as for claims, airline payouts are woefully bad and will generally only cover a limited amount, get some insurance. Or take a cheaper bike.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Glue/epoxy has little strength. Carbon fiber is much too flexible. Mix the two and it's strong and stiff.

Using epoxy to make the missing piece is not going to do much at all. It might look good, but that is about it. Using a trainer may be a good thing, but my guess is that it will not last very long at all.

Gluing the entire hanger may not be that bad, but I would have clamped the wheel to hold the frame to hold it in place. Time will tell what's going to happen for certain.

Be safe.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I guess I'd just look for one of those Shimano MTB RDs that were part of the skewer. I think they were called Hone. Should be 9spd and compatible with Shimano 9spd STIs. 9spd cassettes are cheap, too, so pretty much perfect for a trainer bike.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Oswald wrote:I've never transported a bike by plane before, and would like to know what happens in case something goes wrong. Can you file a claim to get a compensation?
And did you keep the derailleur on the bike during transport? I think I would unscrew it from the frame.

The truth of the matter is that everyone will point toward everyone else, and you get the shaft. This happened to me recently on my last trip. American Airlines says TSA damaged the bike, TSA says that it was their contractor, the contractor says that I didn't pack the bike correctly (although it was damaged when they unpacked it, inspected it, and repacked it - incorrectly - without attaching my rear drop-outs and my wife's fork). In the end, you'll have to claim any damage to your homeowners insurance, which means you won't get anything for it, since the damage won't exceed the deductible claim.

If you can rent a bike, do it.

romaosl

by romaosl

I know its an old topic, but any developments on this? Did it hold for long term use? I ask because it happened to my carbon bike something similar.

:up:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com