Puncture Poll - road, non racing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

How often do you puncture

Poll ended at Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Tubular - <300K
3%
Tubular - 300K-800K
3%
Tubular - 800K-1500K
4%
Tubular - 1500K+
20%
Tubular - what is a puncture?
6%
Clincher - <300K
2%
Clincher - 300K-800K
5%
Clincher - 800K-1500K
14%
Clincher - 1500K+
29%
Clincher - what is a puncture?
14%

Total votes: 116

Zoro

by Zoro

When NOT in a race and on the road...how often do you puncture?
Please respond to one in each category Tubular and/or clincher. If you only ride one type - just respond once.
I am hoping all the road conditions, pressure and riding style condition even themselves out.

aerozy

by aerozy

Interesting thread. I train exclusively on tubulars and I try to avoid wet roads. I havent punctured in dry conditions in over 4years. That said I have had 3 punctures recently when caught out in the rain.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Serge58

by Serge58

Clinchers - once in 2 years, maybe. I do not even carry a kit unless it is long ride.
Tubulars - I usually wear them out bold and had a puncture once.
I stay away from the shoulder which is irritating to drivers but helps to avoid debris.

dogg

by dogg

havent punctured my clinchers in - at least - 9000k's going off my strava mileage. thinking about i honestly can't remember the last time i punctured on the road, i do remember pinching a tube 2 or 3 years ago? I've worn a few sets down to the casing without a puncture....15000k+ sounds a good bet, no jokes about it.

still always carry a spare tube tho, and i do also run very un-WW tires. albeit they're still only 215g a tire. still aint no marathons lol

now ill surely get a double flat tomorrow in the middle of fcuk all nowhere.

Marin

by Marin

Conti 4000s 25mm clinchers with Panaracer R'Air, 3000+ km, 60.000 vertical m, one 200km Sportive, lots of riding in the rain, quite near to the edge of the road usually, don't shy away from gravel, 0 punctures so far.

I carry a spare tube, pump & patch kit, tire levers & spare valve extension.

I run very low pressures too, 5.5 - 6 bar, 80kg rider.
Last edited by Marin on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

efeballi

by efeballi

Conti Grand Prix 24 mm clincher, 14000 km, 1 puncture, 1 pinch flat.
Conti GP4000S 25 mm, 7000 km, 1 puncture.
I should add that I ride on pothole-ridden roads full of glass shards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

NiFTY

by NiFTY

GP4000s 23mm, conti supersonic tubes. I tyre had a bad bead and ate like 3 tubes - all pinch flats, tyre replaced, never another issue. Had one further slipped bead - on another GP4000s, probably due to the fact I didn't inflate and deflate tyre or pre-stretch when installing.

Re: Penetrating punctures - on GP4000s I have worn down to the carcas multiple times, and still never had a puncture. Currently have 8000k on one front and its still going strong, get about 2000-2500K out of a rear.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have not had a flat in years.

BTW, I stay away from drivers which irritating to the shoulders.

campbellrae

by campbellrae

In the last 2 years, I have ridden tubulars exclusively except during the winter, so my results are likely a bit skewed. Only flatted once on the tubs in around 6000km(mostly Vittoria Paves or Veloflex Criteriums), whereas on heavier, supposedly tougher, training clinchers I flatted a few times through the winter, maybe once every 1200km.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

If I eliminate pinch flats as they are my fault, I flat once every year or two at about 4K per year. I use 23mm Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp tyres kenda or conti tubes. I commute and ride sportives over all sorts of crap as Calgary's roads are not particularly good. I am a 86kg rider.
I get most of a season from the rear tyre and more than a season from the front one.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Seems like during the raining season, I'm getting a puncture every two or three weeks. Even though I ride tubeless tires, the roads where I live are absolute garbage, and my tires are completely cut up. Thankfully the sealant I've been using keeps the tires to about 50-60psi.

Steve_W

by Steve_W

I only have to look at a conti tubs and they puncture!!!! In 4 years I've lost count how many I've had......

964Cup

by 964Cup

Tubs -

Schwalbe Ultremo HT - one puncture in 1000k, blew the tyre apart. Lovely to ride otherwise, and light.
Schwalbe Ultremo Ultra Light - hopeless, made of cheese. Punctured inside 150k. Sealant worked fine, makes a good spare.
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX - one slow puncture inside 500k, resolved with sealant; one incident of the valve working loose (I need extenders for my rims). Will go back to HTs when these wear out.
I'll be riding Pave tubs this winter, though. Should be bombproof if they perform like the clincher.

Clinchers
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD - at least one puncture every 500k. Fast, but pretty hopeless as a training tyre.
Schwalbe Ultremo DD - swore by these, then at them - got a tiny piece of flint lodged in the tyre, deep in the thicker rubber, and it punctured every ride till I found it.
Vittoria Open Pave Evo CG - no punctures, ever, in the worst conditions. Fantastic tyre.
Veloflex Master - no punctures in thousands of K, but they cut up quite quickly, so it's rare to wear them out.

Tubeless
Hutchinson Intensive. Bombproof. No issues at all, in a couple of 000k of commuting on London's awful roads. Not even much sign of wear. Not, of course, the most compliant ride ever.

milehighcyclist

by milehighcyclist

never flatted in my short career of 4 years, use everything from gp4000 to specialized training tires, ride in every condition (all clinchers)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommasini

by tommasini

One of several "errors" in this poll is filtering for how many primarily run clinchers and how many primarily run tubulars....factors into the net result. Also the more obvious is variety of road conditions (shoulder vs roadway, wet vs dry, generally crappy roads or not, etc), what tires used, etc, etc.......so while we can all report how many flats, we're not given the opportunity to vote on the conditions that were faced. Given those flaws with the voting criteria, careful with what we think the voting results might or might not suggest.