Narrow bars with traditional bend?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dogg

by dogg

I've been messing about with bar choice over the last few months and after trying various widths (44, 40 & 38) i have settled on ~38cm (center to center) being right for me. I have tried Deda Piegas and the RHM bars, as well as a pair of PRO compacts but I'm not really a fan of the compact shape, particularly while riding in the drops

is there anything with a traditional or round bend in narrow sizes? I've looked around quite a bit but haven't found anything of interest. am i missing anything?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kya

by kya

Zipp measures their bars o-o, so their 40cm bars are actually 38 c-c. I'm rather fond of their "traditional bend/TB" shaped bars, I use them on practically all my bikes (also in 38cm).

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

zipp aren't really classic bend, they are more half circle than classic

from extensive research on this topic, i do not believe such a unicorn handlebar exists in the oversize clamp department. there are 39 wide and 40 c-c wide classic options doe.

jo.k

by jo.k

Actually, Zipp measures c-c so their 40cm bars are 40cm ...

http://zipp.com/bars/service-course-sl-88---/#

I have these bars and they are lovely, but I wouldn't have minded it if they came in 38cm also (as the shorter reach bars do for some reason).

IchDien

by IchDien

3T rotundo? 40cm is more like 38cm on that as 3t bars flare.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

IchDien wrote:3T rotundo? 40cm is more like 38cm on that as 3t bars flare.

except rotundos dont flare....

dogg

by dogg

i might actually try toronovas in 40 for shits and giggles. but the zipps look the ticket. no idea how i managed to overlook them tbh. probably coz i was just looking at web retailers and not the manufacturer sites

AGW

by AGW

Aside from Deda, these are the only I've ever found: http://www.amazon.com/Control-Tech-Classic-Bending-Handlebar/dp/B00BHRPKD2/ref=sr_1_31?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1409597521&sr=1-31

I have a set of the compact bars in 36. They're nice, but not particularly light.
Last edited by AGW on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

IchDien wrote:3T rotundo? 40cm is more like 38cm on that as 3t bars flare.

The ones that do flare they take the measurement at the hoods.

kya

by kya

jo.k wrote:Actually, Zipp measures c-c so their 40cm bars are 40cm ...

http://zipp.com/bars/service-course-sl-88---/#

I have these bars and they are lovely, but I wouldn't have minded it if they came in 38cm also (as the shorter reach bars do for some reason).

Whoops, guess they've changed since the last time I've looked. They definitely used to measure o-o. In any case, they still do have 38cm bars (in carbon).

em3

by em3

All the big handlebar brands make a traditional bend bar (Deda, Ritchey, FSA, Zipp, etc) in narrow 38cm. But not all traditional bends are the same. If u r having trouble finding the right bar u will want to focus on drop and reach and the specific angle of the ramps (which will effect ur lever position and hand position), all of which make a huge difference from one bar to the next. EM3

dogg

by dogg

huh? what deda, ritchey, and fsa bars are you on about? all i see are compacts, trad. bars in 40+ or "round" bars with minimal drop and reach (like the round ritcheys which are basically compacts) am i missing something?

i do get what you're saying but i was running 44cm traditional bars and was not bothered by the reach or hand position on the hoods, in fact i liked that better than the flat transition on compacts. i was more bothered by the width and i got a deal on a few pairs of narrow compacts so i went that path, but I'm missing the extra drop in the...drops now. reach is always adjustable with different stems.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

dogg wrote:huh? what deda, ritchey, and fsa bars are you on about? all i see are compacts, trad. bars in 40+ or "round" bars with minimal drop and reach (like the round ritcheys which are basically compacts) am i missing something?

i do get what you're saying but i was running 44cm traditional bars and was not bothered by the reach or hand position on the hoods, in fact i liked that better than the flat transition on compacts. i was more bothered by the width and i got a deal on a few pairs of narrow compacts so i went that path, but I'm missing the extra drop in the...drops now. reach is always adjustable with different stems.

deda newton shallow

ritchey classic WCS

deda and ritchey are identical in the alloy bars, cept for the cable housing channels. Deda has two channels and ritchey has one (i think or vice versa) . Both of there numbers are less than rotundos. If u need more* drop in the drop, then rotundo might be what u are looking for.

(i forget the fsa one)

djconnel

by djconnel

Dead shallow are shallow.
Ritchey Classic WCS I don't see in 38.

I share the original poster's preference. But I use old Ritcheys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

deda newton shallow and ritchey are classic by shape definition , and both are available in 40cm. deda gives 42cm measurement as smallest but they measure o-o ... ritchey does c-c i believe

deda also had the campione which is carbon and classicly shaped, and oversized clamp, but again, i dont think it came narrower than 40cm.